‘Legal highs’ put teens in hospital

Police have issued warnings on the dangers of ‘legal high’ drugs after three teenagers in Blyth ended up in hospital.

Two girls, and a boy, all aged 15, took a substance known as Clockwork Orange Herbal Incense on Saturday, which resulted in them vomiting blood.

Ambulance staff were called to a house in the town at 5.35pm and they were taken to Wansbeck General Hospital, before one of the girls was then transferred to North Tyneside General Hospital.

All three have now been released and police are carrying out enquiries to establish where the substance came from.

Superintendent Alan Veitch said: “We want people to be aware of the dangers of taking drugs, including so called ‘legal highs’.

“I would like to stress that the use of legal high drugs is not safe and can kill or have a devastating impact on people’s health.

“These substances often contain potentially dangerous chemicals.

“Anyone who misuses drugs, prescribed or non-prescribed, is putting their life at risk, and people should also be aware that this risk is significantly increased if mixed with alcohol.”

Police are working to identify premises selling these substances and will take action to ensure public safety.