Evening service is back on the road

Chair of Seaton Valley Council Darren Mullen and publican Stacey Warnaby with the reinstated Arriva bus. Picture by Trevor Walker.
Chair of Seaton Valley Council Darren Mullen and publican Stacey Warnaby with the reinstated Arriva bus. Picture by Trevor Walker.
0
Have your say

A community is celebrating after an evening bus service was reinstated.

People in Seghill said they felt cut off from getting to Cramlington or North Tyneside after the evening bus service was withdrawn after 8.30pm.

But following talks between Seaton Valley Council, Northumberland County Council and Arriva North East, funding has been secured to reinstate the service for a year.

Arriva North East’s commercial manager Chris Curtis said: “Arriva is pleased to have been able to work with both councils to keep this local evening service going for at least another year.”

Chairman of Seaton Valley Council Darren Mullen said: “The council was very impressed with the strength of feeling expressed by residents at a public meeting and felt it had to try to do something to keep the service going.

“Urgent discussions were held with the organisations concerned and I would like to thank both Arriva and Northumberland County Council for their cooperation and support in the matter.

“It’s over to residents now because we may not be able to keep evening services going for more than 12 months unless passenger numbers begin to show an upward trend.”

Local publican Stacey Warnaby was delighted to hear evening services on the 57A are going to be reinstated.

She said: “My business would have suffered badly if this service had been removed. A number of my regulars come from outside of Seghill and hence losing the service would significantly affect my trade.”

Northumberland County Council and Arriva North East have worked together to minimise the necessary VOSA route registration and timetabling requirements and as a consequence Arriva will be in a position to reinstate evening services from Sunday, May 22.