Fish hook close to choking dog

Matt Underwood with his dog Ben who had a fishing hook embedded in his gullet after picking it up on a walk in Ridley Park in Blyth.
Matt Underwood with his dog Ben who had a fishing hook embedded in his gullet after picking it up on a walk in Ridley Park in Blyth.

A DOG owner looked on in horror as his beloved pet almost choked to death on a fishing hook he picked up in the harbour area of Blyth.

Ben the black Labrador enjoys walks around Ridley Park and the harbour with his owner Matt Underwood in the early mornings when it is quiet.

But last week Ben endured horrific pain as a vet dislodged a one inch hook from the back of his throat after the canine picked up discarded fishing tackle.

Matt, of Rowley Street, had been walking Ben as normal before work between 5am and 6am.

He said: “To my horror my dog approached me at the southern most part of the harbour with what appeared to be fishing tackle hanging from his mouth. There was also a weight attached.

“The dog was choking so I removed the line as best I could whilst trying to ensure that I didn’t cause him any further discomfort.

“The line appeared to snap which caused the alarm bells to ring and the dog fell into a choking fit.”

Matt said Ben appeared to settle down and he hoped that whatever he had been choking had come back up when the dog was sick.

But Ben deteriorated and Matt took him to the vet.

He said: “The dog spent the remainder of the day in the surgery where after numerous x-rays the vet managed to dislodge a one inch long hook which had embedded in Ben’s gullet.

“It was explained that he was lucky to evade major surgery although it took the vet an hour and a half to eventually remove it.”

Ben, although still a bit sore, has recovered form his ordeal and is finishing off his antibiotics.