Two brothers have admitted their part in an attack on a vulnerable homeless man in Blyth.
Wayne and Gavin Deluen appeared at Newcastle Crown Court on Monday where they pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Adam Blythe.
Their co-accused, Kelly Ann Raisbeck, denied the charge.
Mr Blythe, who had been sleeping in Blockbusters’ doorway in the town, was seriously assaulted at an address in Robert Street on Saturday, February 8, and is still in hospital as a result of the injuries he sustained.
Wayne Deluen, 24, of Pecket Close, Blyth, and 22-year-old Gavin Deluen, of Dove Court, Cullercoats, appeared in court via video-link to Durham Prison.
Defending Wayne Deluen, Richard Bloomfield said his client denied having lured Mr Blythe back to the house.
“They did not lure him there with intention of inflicting violence,” he said.
“It was as a result of information they were given once there that the attack occurred.”
Pre-sentence reports and a mental health assessment have been called for and the brothers will be sentenced at the conclusion of Raisbeck’s trial.
Raisbeck, 21, of Robert Street, Blyth, was given conditional bail and will return to court for her trial at the start of July.
After the attack in February, the community in Blyth rallied to help Mr Blythe, leaving messages of support, gifts and cards at The Wallaw pub in the town, and organising a four-mile sponsored walk through the town in March to raise money for local homeless charity Making Winter Warmer for Those Without.
Kind-hearted people even set up a fundraising web page for him to help him get back on his feet once he is released from hospital.
Mr Blythe, 34, has recently been moved to a specialist hospital as part of his recovery.