DCSIMG

Electrical explosion causes fire in Blyth bookmakers

Emergency services at the scene in Southend Avenue in Blyth. Picture by John Tuttiett.

Emergency services at the scene in Southend Avenue in Blyth. Picture by John Tuttiett.

A member of staff had a lucky escape on Tuesday night when an electrical explosion caused a fire in a Blyth bookmakers.

The incident occurred at Coral bookmakers in Wordsworth Avenue, Blyth. Ten shoppers and two staff in the adjoining Poets Corner shop and five staff and a number of customers in the adjoining Co-op Store were also evacuated.

One shopper said: “There was a bang and the lights went out and the manager shouted ‘everybody out’. He ran next door to the bookies and told the assistant to get out as well.”

No one was hurt in the incident.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page