A FAMILY butchers in Blyth is celebrating 90 years in business this week.
Crowe and Atkinson Ltd, of Bowes Street, originated in 1923 when Harry Atkinson moved from Hartlepool to Blyth and set up a business as a shipping butcher, realising the best place for ships to get both ice and fresh food was their last loading port.
After borrowing £50 from his sister, Ethel Crowe, Harry opened his shop in Freehold Street and named it Crowe & Atkinson.
Harry died in 1965 and the business moved to Bridge Street, opposite the offices of the Blyth Harbour Commission.
It then moved to Croft Road, with the purchase of Ashby’s butchers.
It relocated into Blyth market place in the 1970s, with Harry’s sons Ernie and Bobby working in the business until they retired in 1990 and 2000 respectively.
In 1983 the store moved to its current location in Bowes Street, and in 2000 was passed to the hands of Bobby’s son Graham and his wife Christina.
The family members have moved with the times to keep the business running so long, and recently launched a meals on wheels delivery service in the Blyth area.
However, at the same time they have remained a traditional family butcher, buying meat in on the bone and preparing all fresh and cooked meats on the premises.
The most popular and famous Crowe & Atkinson product is their own recipe pork sausage, and to celebrate their 90th anniversary the butchers will be giving away half a pound free to the first 90 customers who call in on Saturday.
Customers must quote ‘1923’ when in the shop to get the sausages.