Mother relieved as third attacker is found guilty

Adam Blythe.
Adam Blythe.
0
Have your say

A mother whose son was brutally assaulted said she is relieved that one of the offenders who denied being involved in the attack has been found guilty.

Adam Blythe was horrifically assaulted in Robert Street, Blyth, on February 8 last year.

The homeless 34-year-old, who had been sleeping in the doorway of Blockbusters, was tortured and beaten with a golf club, received puncture wounds to his legs from a drill, and was hit with a rock inside a sock, during the sadistic attack.

In May last year, brothers Gavin and Wayne Deluen admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent, but 22-year-old Kelly Ann Raisbeck, whose Robert Street home was the scene of the assault, denied the charges.

But a jury at Newcastle Crown Court last week found her guilty of the same charge.

Following the trial, Adam’s mum, Jane Blythe, said: “I was panicking all that day that they might let her off.

“I was thinking if they let her off I would be so devastated, it would be unbelievable.

“When the policeman told me it was guilty I almost burst into tears, it was such relief.

“We got the result we wanted because we wanted justice for Adam, and there was no way she was going to get away with it.”

Adam was left in a coma with fractures to his skull, cheek, eye socket and hand after the attack that shocked the Blyth community.

Jane said: “All the evidence that came out is horrific, they put him in a cupboard, bleeding to death. When I went to see him first he was more dead than alive at that point.

“It has been horrendous, but now thankfully we have the result that we want and we can now move on.

“We had such a horrendous year with everything that was going on.

Adam is still recovering and is living in York.

“He’s not totally 100 per cent, but he is getting there,” added Jane.

“He still has horrendous scars on his face and every time I look at him it reminds me. I don’t think they will ever fade as they are too deep, but he is getting better.

“We have had a lot of old time friends of his coming forward. So many people have been so concerned about him it restores your faith in human nature.”

Raisbeck will be sentenced along with Gavin Deluen, 23, of Dove Court, Cullercoats, and Wayne Deluen, 25, of Pecket Close, Blyth.

Raisbeck, who had already admitted perverting the course of justice by lying to the police after her arrest, was told she faces a lengthy prison sentence.

“I’m hoping when she is sentenced they send her away for a long time,” added Jane.

“I think they should lock her up and throw away the key. She does not deserve to be let out.

“At least the lads had the decency to say sorry, they were ashamed of what they had done and pleaded guilty straight away.”

Adam had originally said he would return to Blyth once he had recovered, but is now settled in York.

“He’s happy in York, and friends from old and new are all rallying round him, so I doubt very much whether he would go back up,” said Jane.

“He’s settled now. We see him for a Sunday roast every week.

“We have come a long way since last February, thank God.”

After the attack last year the Blyth community rallied to help Adam, even setting up a website to raise funds to get him back on his feet.

His mum said: “Nearly £3,000 has been raised now and he is talking about a little car or a deposit on a flat to give him a bit more independence.

“It is incredible what people have done to restore your faith.”

The website is currently still open for anyone who wants to donate, at http://www.gofundme.com/6tbotw