Parents are celebrating after a school entrance deemed ‘unsafe’ was repaired and reopened by council chiefs.
Last week the News Post Leader reported how pupils at Horton Grange Primary School were having to access the school from Cowpen Road after the pedestrian access from Tynedale Drive was closed to due health and safety fears.
Following the article, Northumberland County Council has now taken responsibility for the path and carried out repairs.
And on Monday children were able to start using the pedestrian access again.
Parent Paula Coulson said she was pleased the gate had been reopened to the school once again.
“Finally something has been done, it’s just a shame it took us to complaining and having it in the paper for them to actually do something about it, it should never have got that far, it should have been resolved within days of being closed and not two weeks,” she said.
“I am now a very happy parent.”
In a statement to parents, headteacher Jackie Chevaugeon said: “We’re delighted to say that the county council has decided to take responsibility for repairing the path across the field from Tynedale Drive to school.
“They will also check and maintain it and have asked us to involve the children in keeping it litter free.”
Coun Robert Arckless said: “Northumberland County Council has decided to take responsibility for repairing the path across the field from Tyndale Drive into the Horton Grange First School as a matter of urgency.
“We have agreed to check and maintain the pathway but have requested that the children be involved to keep it litter free.
“I am sure this will enable children and parents to have a safe route into school.”