People are being warned of the affects of a legal high currently circulating in the Ashington area.
Police said on Friday a teenage pupil from Ashington High School was taken to hospital after collapsing.
Early indications are that the pupil had taken some kind of substance that led to him taking ill.
The boy is currently in a stable condition.
It is thought that he smoked a cigarette containing a legal high called Salvia.
This afternoon a 16-year-old boy who had also taken the same substance was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a baby in Newbiggin.
Superintendent Mick Paterson said: “Our advice is – just because it says ‘legal’ on the packet does not mean it is safe.
“These products are usually made from chemicals that can have a serious effect on your health.
“People appear to be suffering some particularly nasty side effects to this substance, Salvia, and we are concerned that there appears to be a quantity of it circulating in the Ashington area at this time.
“If you are in possession of this substance do not use it – and if you have taken it seek medical assistance at once.”
Anyone who needs advice on drugs should contact FRANK on 08700 77 6600 or visit www.talktofrank.com