Stay safe this Hallowe’en - Wansbeck MP’s pleas

0
Have your say

MP Ian Lavery is adding his support to the campaign to raise awareness of the potential fire risks of children’s Halloween fancy dress costumes.

Last year the dangers were horrifically highlighted when television personality Claudia Winkleman’s daughter was badly burned when the witch’s costume she was wearing for Halloween, caught fire.

Currently, the law classes fancy dress costumes as toys so they are subject to far less stringent and rigorous safety checks.

Recently Mr Lavery (MP for Wansbeck) attended a Parliamentary briefing event to raise awareness among MPs of the dangers associated with Halloween revelry and to urge them pass on the same message to constituents.

“Halloween seems to have become a huge national event over the past decade as well as a massive commercial opportunity for retailers,” he said.

“No one wants to stop anyone having fun on such occasions but the accident to Claudia Winkleman’s daughter brought into the sharpest possible focus just how careful we all need to be particularly when children are wearing flimsy costumes and there are naked flames around.

“These days there are alternatives to candles burning in pumpkins. Battery operated candles take away a lot of the fire risks as do LED T-Lights which are now widely available.

“So the message this Halloween has to be – have fun but stay safe.”