Warning as seat goes up in flames

Parents are being warned to be on their guard after a child seat was found to be highly flammable.

Northumberland County Council’s public protection team has issued a safety warning over the chair, which is covered in Spiderman’themed fabric.

Fire safety tests produced a flame so intense it had to be extinguished.

The chair, known as a ‘tub’ chair, sells for around £25. It has been found covered in a range of character patterns, including Mickey Mouse, Frozen, and Peppa Pig.

The chair was seized from a store in south east Northumberland after concerns were raised by a customer and investigations are now under way to identify the supplier.

All the remaining stock of chairs have been seized from the shop

Coun Dave Ledger, policy board member for public protection said:“Keeping residents safe is a priority for this council and we will continue to take action against businesses who do not comply with the law.”

Philip Soderquest, head of public protection said: “Public protection, through the trading standards team, works on a day to day basis, to ensure that items purchased from retailers in the county are safe.

“The video of the testing shows escalating flame and in less than two minutes the entire sample had completely burned away.”

“Items like this should resist flames. If a chair like this were to catch fire in a home the flames would quickly spread to other items and throughout the house, with potentially fatal consequences.”

Residents are urged to contact the Citizen’s Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06 if they have concerns about any items they suspect to be unsafe