Warning over chip pans is given after fire

0
Have your say

Fire officers are encouraging people to take care when cooking with chip pans following a fire in the borough.

On Friday, September 6, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire at Dexter House, Percy Main.

The occupier had fallen asleep and left the chip pan on. They had put the fire out and thrown the chip pan out of the window, and were led to safety by fire crews.

Group manager Keith Carruthers, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Most fires occur in the kitchen and cooking is one of the biggest causes of kitchen fires.

“Leaving a chip pan unattended for just a short time can lead to disastrous results, as the oil can soon overheat and catch fire.

“Electric stoves stay hot for a while after they are turned off so chip pans should be removed from the heat when they are not being used.

“A simple switch from the pan to oven chips or a temperature controlled deep fat fryer can help prevent fatal accidents.

“The individual involved was incredibly lucky. I would urge everyone to make sure they have working smoke alarms fitted in their home on every level and that they are tested weekly.”