Seven-goal battle ends in vase exit

Have your say

BEDLINGTON Terriers were knocked out of the FA Carlsberg Vase by Parkgate FC on Saturday.

The start of the game was slow, with neither team being particularly dominant as they sized one another up.

Both had chances to score, but only the Terriers managed to turn those chances into a goal in the first half.

Both teams battled hard, and as the first half rolled out the Terriers seemed to gain more possession of the ball.

Anthony Shandran and Steven Richardson both really pushed the Parkgate defence with their attempts to score.

Chris Carr was shown a yellow card after he jumped to head the ball and ended up knocking into the Parkgate goalkeeper in the 19th minute.

This booking seemed like a rather rash decision from the referee as only moments earlier a Parkgate player had fouled Steven Stewart and received little more then a telling-off.

In the 43rd minute, Parkgate’s Nathan Forbes-Swindells was given a yellow card after taking down Carr in an overly aggressive tackle.

Just when fans were becoming restless, Shandran set up a beautiful goal with a back pass to Richardson who expertly sliced the ball from the right of the goal past the keeper to put the Terriers 1-0 up just before the half-time whistle.

The second half saw the Terriers widen their lead with a goal from Stewart on 52minutes.

Stewart jinked into the box before volleying the ball past the Parkgate keeper to put the Terriers 2-0 up.

However, the luck of the Terriers then seemed to run out.

Only four minutes after Stewart’s goal, Parkgate took a shot that was dropped by Kevin Morton.

It was then swiftly kicked past him and put to the back of the net by Parkgate’s Ashley Worsfold.

The Terriers’ defence had seemed to relax after their second goal, and Parkgate took full advantage of this, with Wood scoring an equaliser in the 64th minute.

Stuart Elliott was shown red in the 67th minute after violent conduct, and Parkgate were awarded a penalty, which was promptly hammered past Morton, who had little chance of saving it.

Their lead was widened even more with a second goal from Wood, putting Parkgate comfortably ahead on 77 minutes.

It looked set for the final score to be 2-4, however during extra time Richardson scored his second goal of the game to put the score at 3-4.

The Terriers were still a goal behind, but with only a minute left to play they tried desperately to score an equaliser but to no avail.