Spennymoor hand Bedlington a footballing lesson

Have your say

NORTHERN League champions Spennymoor Town added an eleventh win to their 100 per cent league record in emphatic fashion by beating Bedlington Terriers 6-0 at Dr Pit Welfare Park on Wednesday evening.

Three first half goals, plus another three in the second period gave the Moors all three points.

Bedlington started the better side, creating two golden chances in the first ten minutes.

Firstly Phil Bannister was played through by Kris Gate, but his left footed effort ended up well wide of Daniel Knight’s goal.

The second chance fell to talisman Paul Brayson in the penalty area, but he also fired his effort wide of Knight’s goal.

Spennymoor opened the scoring on 21 minutes after some excellent work down the left.

Wayne Phillips and Stephen Capper combined to fashion a cross that landed on the head of the smallest man on the pitch, Gavin Cogdon, who guided his effort into the bottom right hand corner.

Less than 60 seconds later it was 2-0, Keith Graydon taking aim from just outside the penalty area only to be thwarted by Kevin Morton, but the ball fell kindly to the feet of Joseph Walton who hit a right footed effort from 20 yards into the bottom right hand corner of an open goal.

From then on the visitors dominated the game, with wave after wave of attack heading towards Morton’s goal.

The third came after another Graydon effort, this time from a set-piece.

His right footed free kick was well saved once more by Morton, but the keeper could only parry the ball into the path of Moors number nine Mark Davison who slotted home to give the visitors a three-goal advantage going into the break.

In the second half Spennymoor became unplayable and fashioned two quality goals in a five-minute period.

Firstly the lively Cogdon broke down the right wing behind Phil Cave, reaching the byline and driving in a cross for Davison.

Davison got separation from Adam Wilkinson and hit a sideways bicycle kick on the volley into the top left hand corner, a sublime finish.

Minutes later substitute Christopher Mason hit a wonderful left footed cross towards an on-rushing Walton, who hit a first time volley into the top right hand corner, taking the visitors lead to five.

The only injustice left in the match was that Graydon had not notched himself a goal.

On 75 minutes he hit a right footed free kick from the edge of the box off the underside of the bar and onto the post before Bedlington managed to clear.

Graydon finally got his goal with four minutes remaining.

After one-twos with Cogdon and Davison in the penalty area he hit a right footed effort at Morton, who saved well, but the ball fell back to Graydon, who put the game to bed for the reigning league champions.

Bedlington remain in third place in the league, and have to recover quickly with a trip to Penrith in the offing on Saturday in the FA Vase.