Terriers suffer back to back defeats

Have your say

BEDLINGTON Terriers fell to their second successive home defeat at the hands of bottom half clubs after losing 3-1 to Consett at Welfare Park on Saturday afternoon.

A comical own goal just before half-time by Bedlington centre back Richard Pell summed up the Bedlington season as the Terriers continue to shoot themselves in the foot week after week.

Luke Sullivan and Aristote Guerin-Lokonga also scored to give the visitors a three-goal lead before Pell managed to score at the right end to give the hosts a late consolation.

The home side did start on top and could have scored within the first five minutes.

James Loughborough broke away down the left and played in a ball to Phil Bannister on the left hand edge of the six-yard box. The striker managed to roll the ball off to Paul Brayson who shot goalwards only to hit Carl Piecha, who made a brilliant sliding block.

Seconds later Mark Doninger should have opened the scoring.

Brayson picked the pocket of Piecha and found Doninger on the left and he had a free run at goal, but at the crucial moment the ball bobbled and the midfielder sliced his effort wide.

The first quarter of the game, after the initial pressure by Bedlington, was scrappy and played in the middle of the park, with chances at a premium.

Jack Stanger went closest from the visitors with a tame right footed effort from the edge of the area on 23 minutes which bobbled well wide.

Consett took the lead five minutes later out of the blue.

Stanger was the creator this time as he played in a ball from the right, finding Jack Sullivan 12 yards out. The striker crushed a right footed strike into the roof of the net to put Consett 1-0 up.

Another opportunity fell to Brayson on 35 minutes.

Martin Brittain hit a corner from the right, which was well cleared by the visitors, but only as far as Mark Convery, and he picked out Brayson at the far post, but his shot was well closed down by Chris Elliott in the visitors goal.

Consett’s second came just before the half-time whistle.

Craig Robson took a left footed corner from the right hand side and the ball beat everyone and ended up at the feet of Pell, who swung his right leg to clear but his mistimed clearance managed to hit his own head and the ball looped into the back of the net.

The second half fell into the same routine as the first 25 minutes of the game, with very little happening at either end of the field.

The first opportunity of the half fell just after the hour mark to Sullivan for the visitors.

The striker pulled away from Chris Carr at the far post and the ball over the top fell perfectly but his left footed effort was hit wide.

Four minutes later it was 3-0 to Consett after some great work down the right.

Luke Sullivan was the creator; swinging a right footed ball towards the back post where Guerin-Lokonga was waiting two yards out to power a header into the top left hand corner.

With 20 minutes remaining, Bedlington had it all to do but struggled to build any pressure on the visitors goal.

The consolation goal came with ten minutes remaining.

Brittain swung in a ball from a corner from the left and it evaded everyone except Pell who tapped at the back post, the home side not celebrating the goal at all.

The final whistle was a blessing as the game was poor with the visitors deserving all three points.

Bedlington: Pickering, Baxter, K Dobson, Convery (Baptist 45 mins), Carr, Pell, Doninger, Loughborough, Brayson, Bannister, Brittain. Subs not used: C Dobson, Ure, Jones.

Attendance: 95.