Forster and Bell into Ian Whillis Memorial finals night

Have your say

Week seven of the Ian Whillis Memorial competition was hosted by Bedlington station WMC with James Forster and Paul Bell taking the honours on the night.

The first final was between Forster and Jamie Martin, with former taking a 2-0 lead with 17-dart legs.

Then scores of 180, 100, 83, 114 and double 12 put him further ahead before Martin hit back with two 140s to reduce the arrears.

Forster completed a 4-1 victory with a 20-dart game to go through to finals night.

The second final featured Bell and Keith Wright.

A 23-dart leg put Wright ahead before Bell leveled in a 19-dart game including a 180.

Wright replied with a 22-dart game to re-take the lead, but 19 and 24-dart legs gave the advantage back to Bell and he went on to secure his place on finals night with a 14-dart winning game 140, 140, 60, 137 and double 12.

In the Dek and Audrey Wanless Memorial at Northern SC in Ashington, the men’s winner was Andy Chalmers with Colleen Hunt coming out on top in the ladies’ event.

There was a total of 60 entries for the men’s tournament in this highly popular competition that saw Chalmers beat fellow Tyne and Wear player Paul Williams in the final.

On the way to the final, Chalmers beat Ian Dawson, Jamie Martin and David Dodds before seeing off Mark Stephenson in the semi-final.

Williams made his way to the final with wins over Jimmy Summers, Chris Dobey, Paul Bell and Wayne Kippen.

Chalmers took the final 4-2.

In the ladies’, Hunt beat Ann Marie Potts in the final.

Potts beat Meg Cullen then Angy Mann on the way to the final while Hunt had overcome Eve McLean then Caroline Dorothy.

In week seven of the Mark Williams Memorial trophy, Arthur Dobey, Davy Richardson, Mark Stephenson and Davy Gradwell fought their way through to the two finals on Thursday night.

The first final was between Gradwell and Dobey with the former taking the initiative, hitting two 140s and 81 for the first leg.

He followed up with 100, 95 and 90 scores to take a 2-0 lead before securing his win with two 140s and 100 scores in a 3-0 win.

The second final featured Richardson and Stephenson.

Scores of 140, 180 and 97 gave Richardson the lead in a 15-dart leg.

Stephenson hit back with scores of 140, 100, 100 to level the tie, but Richardson immediately regained the lead with four 100 scores in an 18-dart game before claiming victory in a 16-dart leg including 105, 95 and 120 scores.

Richardson also had the highest check-out on the night with a 156 finish.