Ashington RFC battle back to take win over Winlaton

Ashington secured a narrow two-point win over visitors Winlaton on Saturday in Durham Northumberland Division 2.

Monday, 28th November 2016, 11:57 am
Updated Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 11:41 am

There were several changes in the back line for Ashington from the previous week’s fixture including a return to first team rugby for centre Jonny Storey.

After some initial pressure from Winlaton, Ashington fought their way upfield and scored a pushover try for No.8 Chris Johnson, which was converted by Elliott.

The visitors came back into the game and scored a penalty on 22 minutes quickly followed by a fortunate try when an interception five metres from the Ashington line putting them 8-7 ahead.

Right on half-time Winlaton’s fly-half executed a perfectly weighted cross-field kick to set up another try and the visitors lead 31-7 at the interval.

Ashington started the second half strongly and a quick tap penalty from inside his own half saw scrum-half Arkle make a 45-metre break before a well-timed pass to half-back partner Jarvis put him in at the corner from 20 metres out. The conversion attempt was narrowly missed and Ashington trailed by a point.

Ashington were playing the better rugby and Storey was prominent with two excellent breaks. A great handling move by the home backs led to a well taken try by winger Josh Weeks, who beat three tacklers to score in the corner. An excellent conversion by Elliott gave Ashington a 19-13 lead with ten minutes remaining.

But Winlaton came back again and scored a converted try to lead 20-19.

Ashington, showing much more resilience this season, piled on the pressure and were rewarded with a penalty for offside which Elliott calmly slotted with less than two minutes left.

From Winlaton’s restart, Ashington secured the ball to see out full-time and take a hard earned victory 22-20 and leapfrog Winlaton in the league table.

On Saturday Ashington go to Whitley Bay Rockliff, where they will need to be at their best.