Braves condemned to their first defeat

Knaresborough Town 5-1 Blyth AFCBy Andrew McDonnell

Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 12:55 pm
Updated Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 1:01 pm

Blyth AFC were condemned to their first defeat of the season after crashing out of the Emirates FA Cup at the hands of Knaresborough Town.

Sam Cook put the hosts ahead after four minutes, while Josh Garbutt added a brace and Curtis Coppen was sent off inside the first 13 minutes of the game.

The hosts inflicted more misery on the Braves after adding a fourth goal on 33 minutes, Garbutt curling into the far corner for his hat-trick.

Rob Worrell struck the crossbar at one end before David Robinson did the same at the other before half-time.

Substitute Steve Bromley added a fifth for the hosts and Robinson’s penalty on 65 minutes was a mere consolation for the visitors.

It was an afternoon that started positively for the hosts, Michael Chilton’s effort was blocked by a last-ditch challenge before Robinson struck wide.

However, with their first attack of the game, Knaresborough took the lead as Dan Thirkell’s free-kick was headed home by Cook at the front post.

The hosts’ continued to look threatening and after Garbutt doubled Town’s lead on eight minutes, he soon had a second, four minutes later.

A foul on Coppen on the halfway line wasn’t given and Boro broke quickly.

Garbutt was played through on goal and slotted the ball under the approaching keeper.

Before the game could restart, Coppen received a straight red card and the Braves faced an uphill battle, playing over 75 minutes with 10 men and three goals down.

Garbutt forced Chris Bannon into making a good save on 21 minutes, but the striker soon had his hat-trick after some good build-up play from Worrell.

At the other end, the visitors struck the bar through Robinson.

Knaresborough all but wrapped up the game just after the hour-mark when substitute Bromley fired into the bottom corner.

At 5-0 down, Blyth made a double substitution and, within a minute of Hudson coming on, the striker won a penalty which Robinson converted.