Man jailed for lying to police hunting killer

A MAN has been jailed for 15 months for lying to police hunting Raoul Moat and trying to hide a van used by the gunman.

Scott Raisbeck, 31, also removed crucial evidence from a Ford Transit borrowed by Moat’s accomplice Karl Ness and stored it in his garage

He was jailed at Newcastle Crown Court on Tuesday after admitting perverting the course of justice and handling stolen goods at an earlier appearance.

Mr Justice Coulson told him: “There is a civic duty upon everyone to help bring criminals to justice, and that is particularly acute when innocent people have been killed and maimed.

“You decided that, rather than tell the police about what you knew, you attempted to lie and deceive them.”

Moat and Ness used Raisbeck’s van to travel from Newcastle to Birtley, Gateshead, last July so the former bouncer could execute his love rival Chris Brown and shoot his ex-girlfriend Samantha Stobbart.

The stolen van had been passed on to Ness so he could sell it.

Ness, 26, of Brookside, Dudley, returned it to Raisbeck after the shootings, however, saying he had been unable to find a buyer.

When, days later, police arrived at Raisbeck’s home in Glebe Close, Blyth, to question him about the van, he fled.

He was arrested subsequently and claimed he had no white van and did not know Ness.

By then, the judge said Raisbeck must have known the vehicle had been used in the shootings.

Detectives swiftly saw through Raisbeck’s lies, and he later told them he had dumped the van outside a derelict property in Blyth and dropped the keys down a drain.

Police searched Raisbeck’s garage and found a laptop used by Moat to search the internet for details about Mr Brown and a bag containing two shotgun cartridges.

The prosecution accepted that Raisbeck had not provided the van to Ness knowing it would be used in Moat’s rampage.

It also accepted that the van was not used by Moat during the shooting of Pc David Rathband in Newcastle 24 hours after the Birtley murder.

Pc Rathband, 43, of Cramlington, was left blinded for life by the attack.

It was further accepted that Raisbeck’s lies did not “ultimately prejudice the police inquiries”.

Raisbeck said he was scared to tell the truth immediately because the van was “dodgy” and he had some cannabis plants growing in his loft.

Christopher Knox, defending, said Raisbeck did not know Ness well, adding: “This defendant never knew or met Moat.”

Raisbeck, he said, “very much regrets his involvement” in the case.

Moat, 37, of Fenham in Newcastle, remained on the run for a week before he shot himself after an armed stand-off with police in Rothbury.

Ness and Qhuram Awan, 23, of Rowley Street, Blyth, were jailed for life in March for offences including conspiracy to murder, attempted murder and robbing a fish-and-chip shop in Seaton Delaval.