Damp squib game lacks some sparkle

SUNDAY was the day where an organised fireworks display was being held at Woodhorn Lane.

Sadly supporters who were at the ground 24 hours beforehand saw nothing other than a damp squib with a poor game between Ashington and Consett revealing two evenly-matched sides.

There was little to enthuse about with incidents few and far between and a clash which was crying out for a bit of creativity and quality.

It took a full quarter hour for the first semblance of a chance when Marc Walton and Darren Lough worked an opening for Glen Taylor but the striker scuffed his effort which keeper Christopher Elliott collected.

Fifteen minutes later James Taylor and Paul Antony linked down the right with the latter’s cross finding Walton but a superb tackle from David Scorer snuffed out the opportunity as the defender conceded a corner from which Liam Atkin’s piledriver was blocked.

Consett’s first threat came in the 32nd minute when Michael Mackay’s drive was deflected and pushed away by home stopper Karl Dryden then Anthony Lund tried to catch Dryden unawares with an ambitious 25-yarder which the keeper saved diving to his left.

On the stroke of half-time, a low free-kick by Walton was saved at the foot of the post by Elliott and early in the second half, Ashington’s top marksman found the net with a lob over the keeper but the goal was disallowed for a foul.

The 51st minute produced the first clear cut chance of the game with Consett’s hotshot striker Mackay finding himself clean through but he chipped over the bar as Dryden advanced then midfielder Craig Robson was not far away with an effort from distance.

Lund missed out at the far post after a corner from Calvin Smith before Robson and Mackay forged a promising move which came to a halt with a timely tackle inside the box by Mark O’Dea.

Walton thought he had finally unlocked the door in the 75th minute when he latched onto a through pass from substitute Andrew Dugdale and clipped the ball over Elliott only for the retrieving Scott Martindale to clear the ball off the line.

The visitors had the final opportunity when Mackay was in space inside the area but Dryden denied him sprawling to his left then a cross by Michael Pearson flashed across the face of the home goal.

On Saturday, Ashington are away to Sunderland RCA.

Ashington: Dryden, J Taylor, Lough, Antony, Atkin, Grieve, C Bell (Dugdale 69 minutes), O’Dea, Walton, G Taylor, Dobbie (Storie 90 + 2 minutes). Sub not used: Heaman.