Disappointing Vase defeat for Bedlington

WIGAN Robin Park upset their more illustrious opponents on Saturday afternoon at Welfare Park as they came away 2-1 victors in this FA Vase second round tie.

A ninth minute strike from striker Ryan Small and an own goal from Terriers centre half Adam Wilkinson gave the visitors a two-goal interval lead, a n advantage they held until the 89th minute when Paul Brayson picked up a consolation for Bedlington.

Terriers almost took the lead in the first three minutes of the game through an excellent move down the right.

Craig Baxter played in striker Brayson on the right hand side of the penalty area and from an acute angle his shot cannoned off the visitors’ crossbar and back into play.

The Robins had their own early chances, but these were restricted to speculative efforts.

On nine minutes the visitors conjured a golden opportunity when Shaun White picked out Small on the edge of the Terriers area and he turned on the spot before unleashing a right footed effort past Jonothan Ball into the left hand corner of the goal.

The home side could not make the most of a run of set pieces, with Adam Wilkinson coming closest by heading an Alan O’Brien corner over.

Terriers felt they were denied a penalty on 23 minutes when Brayson played the ball towards Phil Bannister in the penalty area and he went down under a challenge, but the referee waved play on.

During this period Bedlington had most of the possession, but were unable to find that final ball.

Park began to setup on the counter, and it was through this they managed a second.

A long ball from the back saw Howard and Wilkinson battling each other for the ball. Wilkinson won the race but was only able to toe poke it past an on-rushing Jonothan Ball to double the visitors lead.

From then on the Robins were happy to sit on the back foot and play Bedlington on the counter.

Bedlington rarely threatened for the rest of the half, with only Steven Baptist hitting an effort on goal.

The second half became a game of cat and mouse, as the visitors looked to withstand periods of pressure and counter with authority.

Terriers looked lifeless in front of goal, with the visitors looking more likely to add to their lead on the counter.

On 64 minutes Howard broke in behind the defence, but Ball was on hand to deny the Wigan Robin Park striker with a fantastic save.

The determination and pure doggedness of the Wigan side gave Bedlington little time on the ball and caused an umpteen number of mistakes.

With Bedlington struggling to muster anything in front of goal, Anthony Shandran and Richard Pell came on late in the game.

Pell made an immediate impact as left back Phil Cave whipped in a cross onto Pell’s head, but he was to be denied by Foulds.

But the ball fell to Brayson who hit a vicious right foot half volley through the crowd and into the bottom corner.

With one minute plus injury time remaining, this was a lifeline for the Terriers’ Vase aspirations, but they could not muster another chance as Wigan Robin Park secured their place in the third round.

Bedlington: J Ball, C Baxter, P Cave, S Baptist, C Carr, A Wilkinson (A Shandran 72), M Convery, M Doninger, P Brayson, P Bannister (R Pell 86), A O’Brien. Subs not used: C Morton, A Leeson, M Brittain).