A retired hospital clerk who spent almost 20 years working at the Newcastle’s RVI is appealing to her former workmates for help in her legal battle for justice, after she was diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Joan Dawson, formerly Sanderson, from Bedlington, visited her GP in August 2014 after discovering a lump on her breast.
In September the 71-year-old was given the devastating news that she was suffering with mesothelioma, a terminal cancer caused by exposure to dangerous asbestos dust and fibres decades ago.
The mother-of-three has now instructed lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to help her investigate where and why she was exposed to the deadly substance.
Joan is hoping to seek justice from her previous employers for failing to prevent her from being exposed to asbestos during her time working at the RVI.
She believes she was exposed to asbestos dust during maintenance work at the hospital and is appealing for her former colleagues to help provide information to assist with Irwin Mitchell’s investigations.
Joan, who worked at the hospital between 1980 and 1998 as a clerk, said: “I was totally stunned when I was diagnosed with mesothelioma and I was distraught when I found out it was just because of my job years ago.
“I am extremely concerned about the future and how the illness will affect me, I live on my own and not sure how I will manage as I now need more care.”
“Hopefully my former colleagues will come forward with the information we need to progress the case and ensure justice is done.”
Anyone who thinks they may be able to help is asked to contact Kirstie Wilson on (0191) 2790136 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org