A retrospective application for certain improvements at the home of Blyth Town FC, which had not been granted permission, has been refused.
Permission had been granted to a scheme to upgrade South Newsham Recreation Ground with a 150-seater stand, new floodlights and an extension to the car park. However, it has not been carried out entirely in accordance with the approved plans so this retrospective bid was submitted to try to address those issues.
But at last Tuesday’s meeting of the county council’s planning committee, refusal was recommended due to the impact of the mounds of earth on the site and the fencing on the public open space.
Coun Bernard Pidcock said: “They have got a massive grant to do this work and it looks as though it’s all falling around their ears now.
“I can’t vote or something which jeopardises something that’s so helpful for so many young people.”
Coun Jeff Gobin added: “It’s someone trying to do something for the people of Blyth and we are putting these small hampers in their way.”
But Coun Heather Cairns said: “On the grounds for refusal, I think there are solutions to these issues, but I get the impression that there’s some friction here.
“The club has got some money for this, I discover, but they haven’t been listening to what they have been told.”
Coun Ian Hutchinson agreed, adding: “I’m very worried we are letting our hearts rule our heads in this case. What they have done is fantastic, but they have not stuck to the planning rules.”