Newbiggin hit back for draw

Newbiggin 2

Monday, 20th March 2017, 1:20 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:53 am

Seaton Delaval 2

Northern Alliance Premier Division

Newbiggin came from two-goals down to earn a point against Seaton Delaval at the Sports Centre on Saturday.

Three minutes in Delaval attacked and Newbiggin’s new keeper Dean Parson was quickly in the action before the ball was cleared.

Shortly after, Jordan Miller took the ball to the outside of the box, turned the defender and fired just over the bar.

Midway through the first half the vsitors broke the deadlock. Newbiggin tried to clear the ball but Delaval had bodies in the box and despite appeals by the Seasiders that the ball had not crossed the line, the referee gave the goal.

Delaval kept the pressure on, hitting Newbiggin on the counter attack, and they extended the lead when a great long ball from midfield found the striker Jack Foalle, who calmly slotted into the bottom corner.

Newbiggin went close when Dan McDonald beat the offside trap and took it round the keeper, but the angle was too tight.

Two minutes from half-time, the ball was whipped in from the right and McDonald’s back heel just went wide.

Newbiggin started the second half well and Jordan Miller netted his first goal for the club against his former side just a minute in when he headed Richard Kennedy’s cross into the net.

Ten minutes into the second half a great through ball found Michael Angus on the wing, which he took into the box and his shot just whistled past the post.

Two minutes later, another through ball to Angus who went close again.

Angus then did superb to keep a long ball in play and he set up Reece Farrell who whipped it to the far post where it was headed over by Richard Kennedy.

With under 20 minutes remaining, Newbiggin finally found the equaliser. Farrell crossed another ball in, this time Miller turned the defender and found the top corner.

Less than ten minutes from time, Esson made an impact shortly after coming on, trying a shot from the half way line, which just goes over the bar.

Three minutes into injury time, Delaval thought they had found the winner with a great shot from outside the box, which was brilliantly saved by Parson.

Overall, despite being 2-0 down, Newbiggin battled well for a point.

Delaval played really well in the first half, ensuring they went into the break with the lead and everything going to plan, but unfortunately could not hold on, the same as Newbiggin did earlier in the season.

All players were exceptional in the second half, which saw Newbiggin’s unbeaten run extended to three games as they handed out three debuts to Dean Parson, Jamie Esson and Jordan Wright.