Pet lover’s habit costly

Heather Goddard and her dog Clover.
Heather Goddard and her dog Clover.

A pet lover who lost her dog to lung cancer is issuing a warning about the deadly risks of second-hand smoke.

Heather Goddard, from Seaton Delaval, was left devastated when X-rays showed that her dog, Clover, had dark spots on her lungs.

It shows how damaging breathing in second-hand smoke can be

Heather Goddard

The 62-year-old was horrified when the vet told her that the cocktail of toxic chemicals found in her second-hand smoke were likely to blame.

Clover, an eight-year-old cross-breed, had to be put to sleep.

Heather quit smoking over a year ago after developing COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), and regrets ever exposing her family to years of smoking in the house and car.

She said: “It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about the damage my smoking was doing to those around me.

“It shows how damaging breathing in second-hand smoke can be.”

For help quitting smoking, call 0800 012 1612, or visit http://smokefree.nhs.uk/