Service rededicates village war memorial

Coun Allan Stewart reads The Brave Lads of Cambois.
Coun Allan Stewart reads The Brave Lads of Cambois.

A memorial to remember those who gave their lives during the First World War has been rededicated.

Large crowds gathered in Cambois for the special service to rededicate the war memorial outside St Andrew’s Church.

Almost 100 years after the conflict began, Cambois saw its largest public gathering for years to rededicate the recently restored structure and plaques.

Members of the Royal British Legion joined local councillors, residents and pupils from Cambois Primary School to mark the completion of the work to restore the memorial, and to remember the sacrifices made by those who fought in two world wars.

The memorial had become weather-worn over the years and local residents approached East Bedlington Parish Council to help with the restoration.

The total cost of refurbishment amounted to £4,200, which was met in full by the parish council.

The 30-minute service was led by the vicar and curates of St Andrew’s.

There was music from the schoolchildren, including songs and a performance by their school brass band, while the hymns were accompanied by members of the Bedlington Brass Community Band.

Coun Allan Stewart read a poem written in 1916 about the ‘brave lads from Cambois’, and the fallen were honoured with the Last Post, silence and Reveille.

Those present also remembered the suffering and sacrifice of those who remained at home, waiting for their loved ones and working for victory.

After the service, Cambois Primary School threw open its doors and welcomed everyone in for refreshments.