A PROPOSED two-storey extension to a Bedlington care home for young adults with a learning disability has been put on hold until councillors visit the site.
The home caters for adults aged from 18 and has six residents.
The extension would allow it to take in three more people, meaning three en-suite bedrooms, staff office, kitchen and laundry need to be added.
Northumberland County Council’s south east planning committee was told an extension was to be knocked down to make way for the new one.
But there had been objections from people living nearby who were concerned the new building would overlook their properties and damage their privacy.
Planning officer Judith Brown said in her report, delivered by area development manager south east Jennie Adamson, that though the applicant had amended the original plan so all clearly glazing was removed from the first floor rear, residents remained concerned this would not alleviate the problem.
“They feel the clearly glazed windows on the side elevation of the extension will still encourage overlooking and privacy issues, particularly to those immediately adjacent residents,” she said.
Committee chairman Dave Ledger reminded members of the committee that “the time for debate is in the future, not now”.
It was unanimously agreed that to allow a more informed decision to be made, a site visit would be held at 3pm on September 13, when members will look not only at the care home and where the extension would be built, but also at an objector’s garden.