Spartans back to winning ways ...

Spartans returned to winning ways as they thoroughly demolished a Gainsborough Trinity side who looked bereft of confidence once Greg Rutherford nodded in the opening goal after 32 minutes.

Monday, 8th January 2018, 2:34 pm
Updated Monday, 8th January 2018, 2:35 pm
Blyth Spartans AFC.

Sean Reid doubled the lead as he smashed home following a goalmouth scramble before clipping home the third. Rutherford then completed his brace with a simple tap in.

Blyth had the best of the opening exchanges with Gainsborough content to soak up the pressure and break on the counter.

Michael Liddle shot narrowly wide but Blyth deservedly took the lead on 32 minutes when Robbie Dale on the left played the ball diagonally across for Rivers, who clipped a cross into the box for Rutherford to guide a header back into the far corner.

Gainsborough then had keeper Ravas to thank for a fine save from Sean Reid, and the stopper kept Trinity in the game just before the interval with a timely smother in the box.

Spartans started the second half as the first ended, pushing for a second goal and they doubled their lead on the hour when a corner was driven into the box. Ryan Hutchinson’s initial shot was blocked, but Reid was on hand to smash home the rebound.

Dale and then Rutherford both looked to cash in on an increasingly porous Trinity defence but on both occasions their efforts were off target.

Blyth added a third after 62 minutes through Reid. Rutherford chased a ball forward and was able to roll it across the box for Hopson, who laid it off to Reid to put it through the legs of Evans on the line.

The patience of Mr Wootton finally wore thin on 67 minutes as Storey picked up the games’ first yellow with a late foul on Rivers. From the free kick, Reid thought he had got his hat-trick as he was played through and chipped Ravas but it was brought back for the linesman who had flagged him offside.

Gainsborough almost grabbed a consolation as the ball found its way to Clarke on the edge of the box but his effort deflected through bodies and into the arms of Jameson.

Rutherford added the fourth on 83 minutes when Rivers broke down the right, and cut the ball back for Cartwright, who saw his effort saved, but Rutherford was on hand to tap home.