Terriers cruise through in Vase

Darlington RA 0-5 Bedlington Terriers

Tuesday, 4th September 2018, 2:14 pm
Updated Tuesday, 4th September 2018, 2:16 pm
Football report

Bedlington Terriers cruised into the second preliminary round of the FA Vase on Saturday at Brinkburn Road, courtesy of a second successive hat-trick from Stephen Young.

Joint managers David Leightley and Keith Brown made two changes from the team that took all three points against Tow Law. Ian Herron and Chris Glass returned in midfield in place of Paul Wardle and Cameron Fenton.

Terriers made the early running with two Andy Hall shots over the bar, before John Sherlock’s cross from the right after eight minutes was tapped back in by Ronnie Jones at the far post for Young to net and give the visitors the lead.

Terriers continued to dominate the game and Jones and Chris Glass both fired over, while Young had the ball in the net after 17 minutes, only for it to be chalked off for offside.

Eventually, the visitors doubled their lead after 35 minutes when a long ball from right back by Chris Locke found Young, who turned and imperiously chipped the keeper.

On the stroke of half-time, Terriers extended their lead. From the right, Glass put Young in, who pulled the ball back from the byeline for Jones to score.

Young completed his hat-trick after 58 minutes when he again chipped the keeper, while the scoring was completed after 86 minutes when substitute Trae Rowlandson was fouled by the home goalkeeper as they both went for a loose ball. Rowlandson picked himself up to slot home the penalty.

It was a comprehensive victory for the Terriers who now play Redcar Athletic at home in the next round on Saturday week (September 15). This coming Saturday, the team are away to Thornaby.

Meanwhile, Terriers have been buoyed by the news that Dylan Williamson has re-signed for the club. Williamson began his senior career at Dr Pit Welfare Park before moving to Ashington and on to Blyth AFC. His return will increase competition for places in the team.