Terriers hit by Easington rally

Bedlington Terriers 3

Monday, 16th April 2018, 3:02 pm
Updated Monday, 16th April 2018, 3:06 pm

Bedlington Terriers let a three goal lead slip at Dr. Pit Welfare Park against Easington Colliery on Saturday.

For the first time this season Terriers were able to name an unchanged d team, starting witht the same eleven that deservedly beat promotion chasing Northallerton Town on Thursday night.

The home team got off to a strong start with Jack Foalle having a shot at goal from a free kick outside the penalty area saved after 5 minutes and then having a goal disallowed after 10 minutes for offside.

On the 15 minute mark Terriers were ahead with Scott Lowery heading a ball towards the corner of the goal, which the Easington keeper vainly tried to scoop away. After consulting his assistant, the referee decided that the ball had crossed the line and allowed the goal.

After 29 minutes the home team doubled their lead as a Lowery header down was struck home by Paul Wardle from 25 yards.

Wardle was involved again after 36 minutes when his pass out wide to Foalle on the left saw the front man take the ball to the byeline before crossing for Lowery who was in space to head in.

Having raced into a three goal lead with the visitors having no answer to the pace of Foalle, Terriers contrived to let the lead go.

Almost immediately after Terriers’ third goal, Easington pulled one back as a through ball found Jack Pounder who shot home.

The second half started slowly with the visitors slowly gaining the upper hand. The home team struggled to cope with the Easington wide men.

After 60 minutes Terriers had a chance to put the game beyond doubt as a cross from Foalle found Lowery unmarked in the middle but his sidefooted shot was straighjt at the keeper.

After 68 minutes Easington pulled another goal back as a cross from the left was volleyed home Liam Adamson.

Two minutes later a cross shot from the left by Tom Goundry was parried by home keeper David Stewart and the ball went up and over his head into the net.

Terriers had a number of chances to win the game but were unable to put the ball in the net.

This will feel very much like two points lost for Terriers who controlled the game for the first 35 minutes.