Three jailed for horrific assault on homeless man

Wayne Deluen, Gavin Deluen and Kelly Ann Raisbeck at Newcastle Crown Court.
Wayne Deluen, Gavin Deluen and Kelly Ann Raisbeck at Newcastle Crown Court.

The mother of a homeless man who was tortured in Blyth has welcomed the jail sentences given to his three attackers.

Adam Blythe was horrifically assaulted in Robert Street last February.

Mr Blythe, who had been sleeping in the doorway of Blockbusters in the town, was tortured and beaten with a golf club, received puncture wounds to his legs from a drill, and was beaten with a rock in a sock, before being locked in a cupboard.

On Tuesday at Newcastle Crown Court, Gavin Deluen, 23, of Dove Court, Cullercoats, and Wayne Deluen, 25, of Pecket Close, Blyth, who had pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm with intent last May, were both sentenced to ten years with two on licence.

Kelly-Ann Raisbeck, 22, of Robert Street, Blyth, was found guilty following a trial to the same charge and one of perverting the course of justice, and was jailed for 12 years.

After the sentencing, Adam’s mum Jane said: “We finally have justice for Adam, it’s just been a year from hell but now we can draw a line under this and hopefully try and move on.

“Adam will never be the Adam that we knew ever again, he has changed and he will never be 100 per cent, but he has come so far from where he was.”

Adam was left in a coma with fractures to his skull, cheek, eye socket and hand after the attack.

In a victim personal impact statement, he said: “As a result of what they did to me I spent 11 months in hospital, I still have severe pain in my hand and I’m left with facial scars for the rest of my life.

“My family did not know if I would live or die, my mother suffered a heart attack as a direct result of the attack.

“They picked on me because I was vulnerable and betrayed my trust in the worst possible way.

“Everyone else I met in Blyth was very kind and generous and they continue to be generous now.”

Mrs Blythe added: “I am so happy that Adam has been vindicated, he did nothing wrong.

“He is so pleased that they are off the streets.

“I asked him to come with me for the sentencing but he couldn’t bring himself to return.

“He is worried he will never be able to work because of the damage to his hand, and he has real trouble with his short term memory.

“Hopefully this is the end of the year from hell, and we can move on with our lives.”

Adam will soon be moving to a flat near his parents in York.

In passing sentence, Recorder Gurdial Singh said: “This was an orgy of mindless violence.

“Mr Blythe brought none of this upon himself. He says he is worried because of the allegations made against him and people may think it is true that there is no smoke without fire.

“There is nothing at all that he has done to justify the horrific nature of the assault on him.”