Genealogists are taking a trip down memory land in Newbiggin as they start a new heritage trail.
Three new information boards have been erected by the local genealogy group, explaining the history of key sites.
The group, which has spent a year working on the project, has sited one board at the bowling green, overlooking the sea, which tells of the 1904 disaster of the steam ship Anglia.
Another, beside the newly-installed mine head wheel, records the life of the coal mine, naming all those who lost their lives there.
And the third, unveiled by mayor Stuart Todd, is by the Old Herring House in Vernon Place, giving details of the bygone industry.