Residents may get permits in tourist area

Share this article

PEOPLE unable to park in front of their homes because of tourists’ cars may be given residents’ permits.

Newbiggin town councillors will make the request as one of its three Annual Transport Plan bids being put forward to the county council.

The proposal is for Beach Terrace, Vernon Place and Prospect Place.

The other new request is for traffic calming measures in Collingwood Road.

The third request is one held over from this year, a new section of path on the coast at Spital Farm.

Coun Alan Thompson said the village needed to plan more parking for tourists, especially since events such as the summer triathlon were taking off.

But town council clerk Dennis Earl said that would have to be considered separately as the county did not fund car parks in the Annual Transport Plan.