Wharton Arms seconds and Irish A seconds win pool competitions

The Blyth Valley Pool Association (BVPA), sponsored by Breakers Pool Bar, saw the start of the Festival of Pool finals nights at the sponsors' base.

Monday, 23rd May 2016, 11:20 am
Updated Monday, 23rd May 2016, 12:23 pm

First was the three-a-sides with this season being the first that each league has its own separate competition.

In the Premier League, the teams from Breakers and Wharton Arms avoided each other, which gave each venue a chance to lock out the final.

Wharton Arms 2nds 5 Breakers Bar C 1sts 3

Wharton took the first frame with David Young getting his team off to a winning start, only for Cameron Wintrip and Darren Hall to take the next two for Breakers C. Wharton bounced back with Young and Christopher Stone winning the next two before Glenn Brookes leveled the match at 3-3. Young with his third win on the night made it 4-3 and team captain Christopher Stone sealed the semi-final with a good four-ball clearance after his opponent hung the black.

Breakers Bar A 2nds 4 Wharton Arms 1sts 5

A Cunningham Jnr and Jamie Spratt opened up a two-frame lead for Wharton before Breakers A captain Dan Patterson pulled a frame back.

Jamie Spratt broke and dished to restore a two-frame lead only for Gavin Slaughter to reduce the deficit for Breakers. But A Cunningham Jnr to took his second win on the night to give Wharton a two-frame lead with three to play. Wins for Stephen Carr and Slaughter ensured the match went to a deciding frame. A dry break from Breakers saw Spratt nearly clear the table again only to go in off on his last yellow, giving his opponent a chance. Needing to keep his two visits for a tight last red, but with a ball missed early doors and the last red also rattling the middle pocket, a make or break double from Wharton’s Spratt sealed the match with his third win of the night to set up an all Wharton Arms final.

Premier League Final

Wharton Arms 2nds 5 Wharton Arms 1sts 0

An all Wharton Arms final promised to be a close match after narrow semi-final wins from both against some of the top sides in the Premier League. But the scoreline did not reflect how close the games were as the seconds won 5-0 with wins for David Young (2), Christopher Stone, Freddy Chambers (2).

In the Super League, Bedlington Station’s two teams drew each other in the semis, which at least guaranteed them one team in the final. In the other semi-final, Irish A’s second team and Seahorse B first team, the only teams not from Bedlington on the night, were drawn to play each other.

Bedlington Station 2nds 5 Bedlington Station 1sts 1

Andy Robertson and Jason Watson took the first two frames to put Station seconds in front. Steven Kinghorn pulled one back for the first team, but it was one-way traffic after that as Robertson, Watson and Kevin Little reeled off the next three frames to seal a 5-1 victory.

Irish A 2nds 5 Seahorse B firsts 3

Matt Brannan took the first frame for Irish A only for Seahorse to take three of the next four to lead 3-2. But Irish fought back with Jamie Barbour, Matt Brannan and finally Johnny Wilson securing the match in the eighth frame.

Super League Final

Irish A 2nds 5 Bedlington Station 2nds 2

Jason Watson won the first frame for Station, but Irish replied in force, taking four frames in a row before Watson won his second frame of the final to make the score 4-2. It was just a brief respite as Irish sealed the match and won the trophy, which also keeps their chances of a clean sweep of this year’s competitions.

This week at Breakers Pool Bar, the players will be battling it out for each league’s doubles knockout trophies. A Champion of Champions event is also being played on the same night.