Ashington fall at final hurdle to Tynemouth

Ashington fell at the final hurdle as Dukes North East Premier League premier division side Tynemouth lifted the Bobby Smithson Northumberland County Cup.

They took a six wickets win at Benwell Hill’s Denton Burn ground on Sunday.

The Colliers had posted a seemingly massive 175-3 from their 20 overs, but the coast side - greatly indebted to a whirlwind knock of 72 from Matty Brown - unbelievably won the contest with five balls to spare.

On a batsman’s paradise of a wicket, the Wansbeck side must have thought that they had banked enough runs at the change over - only they had not catered for an unprecedented single-handed onslaught from Brown, who tortured their bowling attack from its infancy.

In less than half an hour, he blazed 12 boundaries and two sixes in a 27-ball knock of 72, which left the Colliers totally shell shocked.,

And by the time Matty Storey had bowled the right hander with the last ball of the seventh over, Brown had steered his side to just shy of the half way mark towards their target with an incredible innings.

The Preston Avenue side – 104-1 after ten overs – were always in charge with Nick Armstrong (57) and Ruhan Pretorius (33) continuing to build on the foundation laid by Brown, which later earned him the man of the match award.

And even though Matty Storey and Jack Jessop excelled in the field by claiming outstanding catches to dismiss Pretorious, skipper Ben Debnam and Armstrong, the outcome was never in any doubt.

Earlier in the afternoon, Tynemouth had claimed the precious scalp of the in-form Anirudh Singh, who was stumped by wicketkeeper Brown off Philip Morse from the fourth ball of the third over for ten.

However, Neil Wood turned in a vintage performance, completing his half century with a colossal six over mid-wicket before being well caught in the next over by Finn Lonnberg just inside the long-off boundary.

Jessop also crossed through the 50 mark and Ben O’Brien fell in the last over for 41 as Ashington closed on 175.

On the day, both sides suffered from inept bowling performances as the batsmen dominated proceedings by scoring in excess of 350 runs in 40 overs - which was testimony to the wicket prepared by the ground staff.

It had been quite a week for the Colliers who after toppling Premier League side South Northumberland on Tuesday in the quarter-final, beat Tynedale at Hexham in the semi final on Friday.