Blyth get off to a losing start

Share this article

PLAYING their first game of the new campaign Blyth’s first 11 found it was not going to be easy this time around.

Blyth skipper Quinn lost the toss and was asked to bat first by the home side.

Latimer opened up from the ice rink end, and he had Blyth’s openers in trouble from the first ball. Latimer was getting plenty of bounce, with batsmen playing and missing.

With just four runs on the board, Latimer made the breakthrough when Kinnair tried to pull a ball, which lifted off a length, and gloved a catch to the keeper Piper running round to the leg side.

Young Andy Rowell came to the crease. He was greeted with another short ball, which went past his nose.

However, it was Rowell who scored the first runs to come from the bat. He lofted Latimer over mid-off for a four. Rowell moved on to 13 with a lovely straight drive for four off Pearson, but the very next ball, Pearson bowled him off stump.

James Stewart became Latimer’s next victim when he clean-bowled him for nought. Latimer then bowled Singh without scoring.

Carrigan joined Quinn at the wicket after getting off the mark Pearson had him caught by Pier for one. Gill joined Quinn and played out the over. Gill became Latimer’s next wicket. Gill cut Latimer for a four, but was cleaned bowled next ball for four.

O’Connor joined Quinn, and the score gradually increased. However, Quinn was next out when he edged Pearson to keeper Piper for six. M Steward fell in Pearson’s next over, caught by Parkinson for no score.

Thompson came in to join O’Connor, and he at least scored a run. He played two cover drives off Pearson, which were well stopped by the fielder in the covers. However, he played a loose shot, and Piper caught him off Pearson for one.

Blyth looked like they would not make 50. This changed with last pair at the wicket. O’Connor and Allen started playing shots off Latimer, who was back on after a short rest. Latimer was being hit all round the ground by both batsmen. O’Connor lifted him over mid-wicket for a six.

This pair had doubled Blyth’s total when Pearson bowled O’Conner for 29, Allen remained 15 not out.

Latimer took four wickets for 43 runs. Ivan Pearson bowled unchanged from the pavilion end. From his 12 overs, he took six wickets for just 20 runs.

Blyth needed to make early inroads into the Whitley batting. However, the wicket was not as lively.

Kinnair was bowling with pace and getting a bit of swing. Thompson was bowling his normal nagging length and getting movement. He had Parkinson dropped by a diving Gill in the slips, who just managed to get his fingertips to the ball.

Nevertheless, Thompson got the first wicket to fall when Rowell took a smart catch in the gully to dismiss Hymers for 12.

Quinn then thought he had Parkinson stumped off Thompson. The batsman got the not out decision. Thompson trapped Parkinson two balls later lbw for 20.

It was still looking grim for Blyth. Singh replaced Kinnair from the pavilion end.

The batsman struggled against his spin. He took the next wicket to fall when with a short ball the batsman Hawk top-edged it to square leg where Rowell held on. Hawk had scored 30.

Allen was brought in to the attack from the ice rink end. With another smart piece of glove work by Quinn, he thought he had stumped Piper. Yet again, the batsman was given not out.

Allen got his revenge when Piper edged one to Gill who took the catch in the slips.

Whitley now had father and son at the wicket, and dad Mark Harris soon took Whitley to their winning total. He remained 15 not out, and his son was seven not out.

Blyth’s bowling was Thompson 2-20, Kinnair 0-22, Singh 1-20 and Allen 1-23. Whitley Bay 30 points, Blyth two points.

Blyth’s first 11’s next home game is against Monkseaton on Saturday, with a 1pm start. The second 11 are away to Monkseaton seconds at Churchill Playing Fields, also with a1.30pm start.