Blyth hit rock bottom as Nicholson takes six wickets

Ashington Rugby CC batsman Paul Milburn is stumped by wicketkeeper Gary Quinn during Blyth's home loss. Picture by Ian Appleby -
Ashington Rugby CC batsman Paul Milburn is stumped by wicketkeeper Gary Quinn during Blyth's home loss. Picture by Ian Appleby -

Blyth suffered a 78-run home defeat to Ashington Rugby CC on Saturday, which leaves them bottom of the league.

There is only 31 points separate the bottom six clubs and Blyth still have to play three of the sides just above them with only four points between the bottom four

Ashington batted first with Nicholson and Adamson, while Kemp and Silva opened the bowling for the home side.

Kemp failed to have the normal impact as the visitors made a steady start before, with the score on 22, Silva made the breakthrough in the eighth over when he trapped Nicholson lbw for 11.

Peacock joined Adamson and this pair pushed the score along and brought the 50 up in the 12th over.

With another eight runs added, Kemp at last got his just reward when he bowled Peacock for 14.

Chris Harwood came in as Singh replaced Silva in the Blyth attack, but he got a bit of stick in his first three overs from Adamson, who doubled his score.

However, with Adamson nearing his half century, Singh got his man when he trapped him lbw for a fine 43, including eight fours in a 94-minute stay at the wicket.

Tanney came in to join Harwood but with another 11 runs added Singh bowled Harwood with a beauty. The former Blyth man’s 48-minute stay ended for just 12 runs.

Dean Hardy was next in with Tanney and they consolidated the innings for the next 15 overs.

With Lawrence on for Kemp, he tied one end down, but Singh paid for it with both scoring freely off him.

Walker came on to take over from Singh for the final ten overs.

Tanney and Hardy brought up their 50 partnership in the 45th over, but it was then brought to an end when Lawrence finally had Tanney stumped by Quinn for 34 from 47 balls with three fours and one six.

Milburn was next in, with Kemp coming back into the attack to replace Lawrence.

Kemp sent Hardy back trapping him lbw for 20.

Walker then got the wicket of Milburn when Quinn stumped him for 21.

The last wicket to fall was Greaves, run out on the last ball.

Blyth’s bowling figures were A Kemp 2-29, R Silva 1-31, S Singh 2-48, M Lawrence 1-34 and C Walker 1-25.

Blyth’s innings started with second team opener Carr and Purma while Graves and Richards opened the bowling for Ashington.

It was Greaves who put the home side on the back foot. In his second over he struck twice in five balls. Firstly he trapped Carr lbw for two then he trapped Smith lbw without scoring.

Last week’s second team top scorer O’Connor came in to join Purma. However, with just four runs added, Richards bowled Purma for nine.

Skipper Lawrence came in to join O’Connor and this pair slowly put a stand together, adding 45, but Nicholson turned the game around when he struck twice in his second over.

He bowled O’Connor for 15, then sent Rowell back next ball caught by Milburn for a golden duck.

Lawrence saw off the hat-trick ball by hitting it for six.

Quinn and Lawrence added 18 runs before Lawrence became Nicholson’s third wicket when trapped him lbw for 37.

Maddison took the next wicket to fall when keeper Hetherington caught Quinn for nine.

Nicholson cleaned up the final wickets; Hetherington stumped Walker for one, Sival went first ball bowled and finally Singh was traped lbw for six. Kemp remained 13 not out.

Ashington’s bowling figures were D Greaves 2-6, J Richards 1-35, L Tanney 0-7, M Nicholson 6-27 and S Maddison 1-21.

Blyth 4 points

Ashington Rugby CC 29 points

On Saturday Blyth are away to Blagdon Park with a 1pm start.