Blyth seconds pick up nine points in rain hit game

WITH Blyth Cricket Club’s first XI having their game called off on Saturday, the spotlight fell on the second team who were at home to Blue Flames seconds.

Blyth lost the toss and were asked to bat first at the overcast Plessey Road ground.

Andy Rowell and James Stewart opened the batting for Blyth but they were soon in trouble when Rowell, who had hit Marshall for four through the covers, was bowled by the fifth ball of the first over which nipped back.

Russell Walker and Stewart pushed the score to 36 before Anwar bowled Walker for 12.

Stewart was joined by skipper Gary Cotterill but the latter was trapped lbw without scoring by Marshall.

C Blackett and Stewart added 32 for the fourth wicket, but with the latter looking good for a half century he tried once too often to whip a ball from Anwar to the leg side, getting an inside edge with the ball hitting leg stump and he was out for 41.

P Roberts and Blackett added another 33 runs before Roberts was run out with a direct hit at the bowler’s end for 14.

Ryan Kirkup joined Blackett. However, he was soon trapped lbw by Dobson.

Blackett’s dogged innings ended when he hit across a full-length delivery from Dobson and was bowled for 29.

P Cotterill was joined by Fran Carrighan, but he was soon bowled by Taylor for three with one that kept low.

Cotterill followed when the same way as Blackett, bowled Dobson for 17.

With Blyth edging towards full batting points, with three needed to reach their target, Cameron Walker was bowled for five by Taylor, leaving Imran Mohammed one not out.

During the tea interval the rain came and no further play was possible.

Blyth ended up with nine points while Blue Flames collected ten.

On Saturday, Blyth first XI are at home against Kirkley with a 1pm start, while the seconds are away to Bomarsund seconds with a 1.30pm start.

On Tuesday, July 5, Blyth are at home to Bedlington in the semi-final of the Thomas Wilson Memorial Cup with a 6pm start.