A hard earned point for Blyth AFC at Hebburn Town

Blyth AFC manager Mick Connor.
Blyth AFC manager Mick Connor.

Blyth AFC secured a good point at second placed and unbeaten Hebburn Town on Saturday.

After being wasteful in the opening stages in front of goal, the visitors took the lead inside ten minutes when David Robinson robbed the Hebburn centre back and fired into the top corner.

It should have been two but Ben Richardson was denied by a superb save from the Hebburn keeper.

This became the story of the first period, but as the game entered the final 10 minutes of the half, Hebburn’s Paul Chow was denied with Chris Bannon pulling off a point blank save at the back post.

The second half started with Hebburn on the front foot. First, Channon North glanced a header wide then Chow had a goal chalked off for offside.

Blyth were struggling to find any rhythm so Sean McRoberts and Josh Day came on to try to spark some life into what was becoming a lacklustre performance only to see Chow equalise with a chip over the advancing Bannon.

Blyth then came to life with a number of balls just failing to connect and one cleared off the line, but the sides played the game out to end as a 1-1 draw.

Blyth manager Mick Connor said: “It is always a difficult place to go, especially against a Hebburn team who are realistic challengers this season, but that being said, the feeling of the game should have been over by half-time.

“Yes, we could have easily lost it as Hebburn created some good opportunities, but we were wasteful in front of goal and chose wrong options too many times.

“Special praise has to go to Robinson and Richardson who showed great quality on and off the ball, and Andrew Bulford for his constant pressing.”

On Wednesday evening Blyth AFC entertain Chester-le-Street then travel to Northallerton Town on Tuesday, August 22, both games kick-off at 7.45pm.

Danny Sayer, Adam Harvey and Liam Gillesphey all return to the squad for Wednesday night’s game after being unavailable, but Lee Middleton is still out injured, although Connor hopes to see him back at training next week.