Alliance leaders suffer heavy defeat

HARRABY United’s Aaron Roberts hit a hat-trick as the Cumbrians inflicted a heavy defeat on leaders Amble United in the Northern Alliance premier division at the weekend.

Roberts sent the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot for the opener and then pulled back for Dan Balmer to power in the second.

Roberts made no mistake from the penalty spot for the third in the 61st minute, and although Rikki Hume came off the bench and fired in for Amble, just three minutes later Roberts restored the three-goal advantage at the other end.

Lee Otway rounded the keeper and rolled in the fifth nine minutes from the end to complete Amble’s misery.

Wallsend Town had a hat-trick hero in Paul Gordon as they crashed seven past Hebburn Reyrolle.

Craig Burke hit two more and Chris Garwood and Paul McHutcheon were also on the scoresheet while sub Rob Allen claimed a double in response.

Paul Dunn’s shot and a Dean Deagle header ensured that Shankhouse led at the break in their clash with Rutherford.

Chris Rue extended their advantage and although Shaun Todhunter netted from the spot, James Armstrong rounded off a fine team performance by adding the fourth late on.

Daniel Chambers capitalised on a defensive mix-up to give Whitley Bay A the lead at Seaton Delaval.

Alex Redfearn levelled ten minutes after the break, but Andrew Robertson netted five minutes later to put the Seahorses back on top and with the Red Devils chasing the game, Kyle Downey exposed gaps at the back to add a third in the 81st minute.

It was a day of shocks in the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup as three premier division sides went out to lower league opposition.

Ashington Colliers went ahead at division two’s Blyth Isabella when Kris Willis smashed a 25-yarder into the top corner, but Isabella fought back and Kris Allington levelled. Matthew Lavender pounced to grab the winner.

John Paxton hit the only goal as division one’s Wallington saw off Carlisle City, and Ponteland United recovered from going behind to David Atkinson’s opener direct from a corner for Blyth Town.

Andrew Davidson equalised in the 75th minute to take the game to extra time and they struck a hammer blow just 60 seconds into the added period when Richard Kent scored.

Dan Wright added a third and Town went out despite Malcolm Morien giving them hope with a late strike.

United face Wallington in the semi-finals with Isabella playing Heaton Stannington.

In the Pin Point Recruitment Bill Gardner Memorial Trophy, Darren Percy (2) and Chris Tait were on the scoresheet for Morpeth Town A as they advanced at the expense of Cramlington United, who had Graham Marshall on target.

Jordan Watson slammed in the only goal against Bohemians as Cramlington Town went back to the top of the table in division one.

The game was switched to Cramlington and Town took full advantage to claim the three points.

Scott Robson hit a hat-trick as Hexham came from behind to beat Willington Quay Saints.

Liam Heenan and a Paul McLean penalty put the Tynedalers out of sight after saints had started well with Liam Taylor’s opener.

David Clasper and Kev Hay scored for Gateshead Redheugh as they saw off Newcastle Chemfica and goals from Jamie Hope and Nicky Routledge gave Northbank the three points at Newcastle Uni, whose scorer was David Mifsud.

Goals from Elliot Mitchell and Rob Watson weren’t enough for Cullercoats as visitors Heddon netted three times to claim the victory.

In division two, Birtley hot-shot Damien Stevens struck four times as they put seven past Wallsend Boys Club.

James Bowman got two, including one from the penalty spot, and debutant Joe Whelan was also on target.

Scott Lowery, Russell Slater and Michael Slater scored for Boys Club.

New signing Sean Palmer netted a double as Wooler hit Longbenton for six. James Scott also bagged a brace with Craig Henderson and Tom Martin getting the others in a thumping win for third against fourth.

In the NFA Minor Cup, Grainger Park advanced with a 6-3 success in a cracking game at Gosforth Bohemians A.