Alliance select side lose out in FA Inter League Cup

Share this article

THE Northern Alliance were just ten minutes away from a trip to the Isle of Man when a corner was slung over and Yorkshire Amateur League sub Barry Frankland headed an equaliser.

Frankland went on to hit the winner for the Yorkshiremen nine minutes into the first period of extra time of a hard-fought FA Inter League Cup first round tie at Dunston UTS Stadium.

Giuseppe Amato took full advantage of a defensive mix-up to give the Alliance, represented by Harraby CC, a 14th minute lead, calmly slipping into the empty net.

But the Alliance were always going to find it tough going after they had a player sent for an early bath and Frankland’s late header levelled things up – before his extra time winner.

Gary Dixon rose to power in a late header for leaders Heaton Stannington as they drew with Ashington Colliers, who had gone in front just before the break as Joe Moscrop fired home.

Killingworth Sporting’s Liam Callaghan also used his head as he grabbed a hat-trick at Percy Main. Steven Robinson headed in the opener at the back post and two minutes later Callaghan leapt to head in number two.

Callaghan nodded in the third after the break and completed his treble with a penalty fired into the roof of the net. Tony Abladey scored a consolation spot-kick in injury time.

Jonathon Wright was also successful from the spot as he gave Seaton Delaval the lead against Hebburn Reyrolle.

Despite having Selso Anjos sent-off, ten-man Delaval dug deep and further goals from Wright and Grant Kershaw secured the win.

Goals from Alex Redfern, David McDonald and Stewart Wright gave Whitley Bay A a win over Stocksfield, who had Steven Forster on target, while Sean Todhunter shot Rutherford ahead at Blyth Town after just sixty seconds.

Danny Beresford levelled right on half time and when he was flattened in the box with ten minutes to go, Craig Hopwood fired in the winner.

John Dunn and Sam Holman scored in each half as Ponteland United beat Shankhouse and Martin Peace hit the only goal of the game for Murton at Walker Central, who were unlucky not to level when they rattled the bar.

Amble United went back to the top of Division One as Brent Aisbett hit a double at rivals Wallsend Town.

The Seasiders’ Darren Riddell broke the deadlock and although Sean Reid levelled, Aisbett’s late strikes secured the three precious points.

Dan Thompson’s effort for Wallington wasn’t enough as strikes from Heddon’s Steven Satterthwaite and Haydon Gilmour moved them to within a point of their hosts while goals from Iain Harris, Darren Campbell and Andy Renton eased Bohemians to the win against Newcastle Uni.

Kevin Long’s own goal gave Cullercoats the lead at Cramlington Town and although Danny Olson levelled, Michael Gill grabbed the winner after a long delay when his team-mate Daniel Sneap broke his collarbone and was taken to hospital.

Red House Farm destroyed basement side Cramlington United with Robert Nolan grabbing a hat-trick in an 11-0 romp.

Paul Newton-Eddy, Chris Mann and Jack Martin all got two with an own goal and Chalmers completing the bumper tally.

Harton & Westoe were also among the goals and Shaun Edwards hit three in their 6-0 success over New Fordley. David Graham got two and Steven Graham the other for the Colliers.

Dylan Adamson bagged a brace and he was joined on the score-sheet by team-mates Adam Gibson and Steve McCabe as they won 4-2 at Alston. Reece Thirtle and Dan Parker netted for the Cumbrians.

Northbank’s Cameron Wilson also netted a double as they beat Whickham Lang Jacks 2-1. Ryan Lowes scored for the visitors.

Craig Wood and Adam McVickers were the Swalwell double heroes in their 4-0 success at North Shields Athletic and Wideopen’s Andrew Bruce and Willington Quay Saints’ Gareth Pugh hit the target as the two sides shared the spoils.

The game at Seaton Burn also ended in a draw after Robbie Smith had shot Bedlington Terriers reserves ahead.

Steven Cherry and Nicky Hara led the fight back to turn things around, but Simon Brown levelled five minutes from time.

Joe Murray’s early opener for Forest Hall at Alnwick Town reserves was followed up soon after with a second by Jay Lomana in the Pin Point Recruitment Bill Gardner Trophy.

Neil McFall pulled one back for the Second Division side in the 78th minute, but they couldn’t force the issue and went out of the competition.