Amateurs into second cup final of the season

ALREADY through to one cup final this season, Seaton Delaval Amateurs romped into the final of the Northumberland Senior Benevolent Bowl with a scintillating performance against Walker Central on Saturday.

The visitors made five changes from last week’s side against Gateshead Rutherford with Tom Wilson, Michael Robinson, Craig Cook, Craig Johnson and Steven Grey coming back in place of Cairns, Slaughter, Fry, Hodge and Gary Cook.

The home side started quite brightly and had the first opportunity but Sallin was crowded out be a combination of Mundy and Wilson.

This was to be Walker’s only opportunity for the next 85 minutes as Amateurs turned in a superb display.

Chief architects were the two wide men, Anderson and Johnson, and it was the former that scored the opening goal after ten minutes.

A fantastic pass from Craig Cook found Anderson who cut inside onto his left foot before unleashing a fierce shot from 25 yards that went under Walker keeper Harrison.

Ten minutes later, another flick from Craig Cook found Anderson and he was upended in the box. Anderson picked himself up to slot the ball home to double the lead.

Delaval were rampant and full-back Robinson should have extended the lead after 28 minutes.

A ball into the box from Wilson fell to Robinson but he blasted his shot wide when he should have hit the target.

The heavy pitch was starting to cut up but it did not seem to be affecting Amateurs play with Johnson and Neil Johnstone dominant at the back, and Grey and Michael Fenwick controlling possession in the middle of the park.

Just after the half-hour mark Delaval scored a third when great work from the dangerous Johnson saw the ball headed out to Grey. The midfielder mishit his shot but it ran perfectly into the path of Wlison who calmly slotted the ball home for his first goal of the season.

It was almost 4-0 just before half-time when Harrison did well to tip over a curling effort from Stephen Howes.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with the visitors controlling the game while the hosts offered little going forward.

Just before the hour mark, Delaval settled the tie once and for all when good play from Fenwick following a quick free kick saw him square the ball to Grey, who from all of 30 yards sent a swerving drive into the top corner for the goal of the game.

Understandably, this deflated Walker and Delaval were content to keep the bal.

Hodge and Slaughter both came off the bench with Craig Cook and Wilson the players replaced.

Fifteen minutes from time Fenwick scored the fifth after another excellent break saw Howes clean through on goal.

Howes drew keeper Harrison then unselfishly squared the ball to Fenwick who gleefully passed the ball into the net to complete the scoring.

Substitute Liam Cairns could have added a sixth goal in the dying minutes but the ball was deflected over the bar from close range.

Walker were well-beaten by a Delaval team turning in one of their best performances of the season.

Delaval can now look forward to a final at Blue Flames, home of the Northumberland FA, where they will meet the winners of the Percy Main Amateurs v Ashington Colliers semi-final.

Amateurs play Blyth Town in The Kicks Leisure Challenge Cup Final on Thursday, April 7, at Woodhorn Lane, Ashington, kick-off 7-30pm.

Seaton Delaval Delaval Amateurs are looking to strengthen their committee for the 2011-12 season.

Anyone interested should contact secretary David McMeekan at