Another injury blow

Ashington CFC players congratulate Jamie Clarke after he scored his side's fifth goal in the win over Jarrow Roofing on Saturday. Picture by Steve Miller
Ashington CFC players congratulate Jamie Clarke after he scored his side's fifth goal in the win over Jarrow Roofing on Saturday. Picture by Steve Miller
Share this article

ASHINGTON CFC have experienced wretched luck in the their last three home matches at home with serious injuries sustained to Gareth Bainbridge (dislocated shoulder), skipper Darren Lough (fractured skull) and Saturday’s latest victim Stephen Young.

Young’s injury was sustained after he was upended in the penalty area by Jarrow’s substitute defender Nathan Johnson, and the striker – diagnosed later with a broken ankle – was expected to have an operation this week.

The Colliers, fresh from their giant-killing 1-0 victory in their FA Cup replay against Vauxhall Motors in midweek, took time to get into their stride against a Roofing side including former Collier Chris Scott.

In the seventh minute a cross from the left by Damen Mullen was headed down by Jamie Clarke for Andrew Johnson whose shot was blocked by keeper Nicholas Liversedge.

Two minutes later an effort by Kristopher Hughes was fisted away by home stopper Karl Dryden.

David Malloy then made a run into the box and only a timely tackle by Matthew Grieve stopped him.

However, on the half hour, the visitors took the lead.

Hughes supplied a cross from the left which saw Aristote Guerin-Lokonga’s shot pushed out by Dryden but only as far as Michael McCaffery who blasted home.

Craig Scott made a great interception to foil McCaffery after a move involving Guerin-Lokonga and Malloy before Ashington drew level in the 37th minute with a peach of a goal by Andy Dugdale – his first for the club.

Clarke played the ball out wide for James Taylor and he whipped over an inviting cross for Dugdale, who steered a lovely header from 12 yards over Liversedge and into the top corner.

Early in the second period the Colliers wentagead when Mullen’s free-kick was glanced on by Clarke for Jonny Godsmark, who made no mistake hooking the ball home from eight yards.

Midway through the half, Jarrow were reduced to ten men when centre back David Anderson was shown a straight red card by referee Danny Markham for dissent, and two minutes later, Jarrow’s troubles were compounded as they slipped further behind.

Johnson, substitute Chris Fawcett and Godsmark linked neatly and when Johnson crossed, defender Ian Moore sliced the ball wide of Liversedge and into his own net.

Young came on for Johnson but five minutes later (in the 80th minute) when he was about to pull the trigger he was brought down by Johnson with a penalty awarded.

After a lengthy delay of 20 minutes, Young was taken to hospital by ambulance.

When play restarted, Johnson was yellow carded before Clarke – coolness personified – stepped forward and drilled home the resultant spot kick.

And there was more to come from the rampant Colliers as two minutes later, Clarke and Godsmark fashioned a one-two and when Clarke’s initial shot was parried by Liversedge, the striker swooped on the rebound, swivelling on a sixpence to send a left footer into the bottom corner to record his ninth goal in six appearances.

Ashington: Dryden, Taylor, Scott, Dugdale, Atkin, Grieve, Johnson (Young 75 minutes, Buzzeo 80 minutes), O’Dea, Clarke, Godsmark, Mullen (Fawcett 64 minutes). Subs not used: Deagle, Race.

Attendance: 241.