Ashington and Consett game called off at half-time due to fog

Share this article

Ashington’s Ebac Northern League first division match against Consett at Woodhorn Lane was abandoned at half-time on Tuesday night due to fog with the scores locked at 2-2.

After the players had walked off and into the changing rooms, Gateshead-based referee Mark Edwards had a discussion with the two managers, Ashington’s Gary Middleton and Consett’s Kenny Lindoe, which resulted in the game being called off due to poor visibility.

Middleton and his assistant Perry Briggs immediately supervised a training session for their squad who, in an enjoyable opening 45 minutes where both sides played good football, squandered a two-goals lead.

The Steelmen could so easily have gone ahead in the fifth minute.

The ball was played into Luke Sullivan whose shot was blocked by Karl Dryden, and from the rebound Sullivan’s effort was cleared off the line by Lance McGlen.

However, the Colliers – who included new signings Kyle Downey, Joe Race and Luke Scott on the substitutes bench – took the lead four minutes later.

Marc Walton won back possession just inside the Consett half and laid the ball off to Sam Norris.

He found Glen Taylor whose low drive from 20 yards was perfectly placed to beat the despairing hand of keeper Jack Norton and creep inside the far post.

The Wansbeck side doubled their advantage in the 17th minute through a stunning effort from Kyle Oliver.

Andrew Johnson, Norris and Glen Taylor combined and when the latter teed the ball up for Oliver, the ex-Middlesbrough man let fly with a terrific right footer which flew past Norton and into the far corner.

Dryden pushed away a long range effort from Chris Bell before the visitors dramatically drew level with two goals in as many minutes.

The first – on the half hour – saw Calvin Smith’s low driven free kick take a wicked deflection off Michael Mackay which left Dryden stranded as the ball went in the opposite direction and nestled inside the net.

Then Dryden spilled a corner from the right and when the ball landed at the feet of Luke Sullivan, he made no mistake, lashing home.

Minutes later, a long ball from Dryden bisected the visitors defence and left Marc Walton – playing against his former club – in the clear. He bore down on goal but just as he was about to pull the trigger, he was thwarted by a superb last ditch tackle from Anthony Lund.

Norton performed brilliantly to tip over a 25 yarder from James Taylor then on the stroke of half-time, Craig Scott was allowed a free header from a Johnson corner on the right but directed his effort over.

Then came what proved to be the final whistle as conditions had the final say.

Ashington: Dryden, Lee Scott, Oliver, J Taylor, C Scott, McGlen, Norris, Johnson, Walton, G Taylor, Carson. Subs not used: Downey, Briggs, Race, Luke Scott, Barnard.