Ashington blown away at Newton Aycliffe

Share this article

ASHINGTON run good form came to an end on a windswept Wednesday night as they were beaten 2-1 at lowly Newton Aycliffe.

And Thomas Hinchley’s world class goal on the hour could yet prove to be the decisive strike which ensures Newton Aycliffe’s Ebac Northern League division one status by the end of the season.

The Durham side, who had brushed Bedlington Terriers aside by a 4-0 scoreline 48 hours earlier, are desperately fighting for survival.

But six points in the space of three days has lifted them from their lowly placing – if not dressing room spirit – and they now stand eighth from bottom.

Hinchley’s right footer from fully 35 yards struck against the wind and on the half volley, dipped over the advanced Karl Dryden and proved to be the crucial strike which swung the pendulum in Aycliffe’s favour.

The home side put pressure on the Colliers from the start with their best move arriving in the ninth minute and involving Fred Woodhouse, Daniel Lambert and Hinchley, and when the latter crossed, Danny Earl’s header was comfortably taken by Dryden.

However two minutes later, Ashington took the lead.

James Taylor found Jonny Godsmark down the right and the tricky winger beat his marker before pulling the ball back where Andrew Johnson’s effort was only partly blocked by keeper Scott Pocklington with Gareth Bainbridge side footing home from close range.

Within minutes, Dryden saved with his legs to deny Paul Broom, then Earl fired a half volley wide.

Johnson went close with a shot from 20 yards but 60 seconds later - in the 33rd minute, it was all square.

Lambert met a cross from the right and although he mistimed his effort and hit it into the ground, the ball bounced wide of Dryden and into the corner of the net.

The Colliers were fortunate to find themselves level at the break.

Hinchley headed just wide then the same player accepted a pass from Earl to hit a venomous effort which smacked against the post.

Then in the 39th minute, Mark O’Dea needlessly brought Hinchley down in the box with referee Shaun Hudson pointing to the spot.

However, Earl’s powerful penalty saw Dryden pull off a terrific stop, diving to his right.

After Hinchley had put Aycliffe ahead, Marc Walton had a 22-yard free kick deflected over; Godsmark fired narrowly wide then ten minutes from time, a long range right foot shot from Johnson rattled the underside of the bar with substitute Marc Heaman foiled by a block tackle from the rebound.

Ashington’s last chance came in the 88th minute when O’Dea headed on a ball played forward from Taylor but skipper Liam Atkin lashed over.

Ashington: Dryden, J Taylor, Dobby (L Scott 85 mins), Antony, Atkin, Grieve, Godsmark (Dugdale 78 mins), O’Dea, Walton, Johnson, Bainbridge (Heaman 68 mins). Sub not used: Bell.