Ashington Bubbles win a tie dominated by penalties

Share this article

Standard Security Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League Forest Hall finally managed to play their NFA Minor Cup tie against Newcastle and Tyneside Irish Club at the weekend after several postponements.

After a tight game, the scores were level after 120 miniutes. Unfortunatley Forest Hall came up short and lost 4-2 on penalties. Jamie Mathews and Tony Robertson scored Forest Hall’s spot kicks.

In the semi-final of the Alan Davison Cup, Wansbeck Pots and Slots played host to Ashington Bubbles United. Chris Hogg and Michael Hogg scored for Pots and Slots, Kris Allington and Craig Penny replied for Bubbles as the game went into extra time with the sides locked at 2-2. Pots and Slots should have sown the game up but Michael Hogg missed his second penalty of the game. Bubbles finally came out on top 3-2 on penalties.

During the game there was a tremendous piece of sportsmanship by Bubbles’ Allington, who appeared to have been brought down by a defender with the referee awarding a penalty, but Allington told the official the defender did not touch him.

Ashington Bubbles will now meet Burradon and New Fordley in the final on March 23 at Bedlington Terriers ground with a 10.30am kick-off.

In the premier division, Burradon and New Fordley gained more ground on the leaders with an 8-1 home win against High Street. Anthony Harvey scored the consolation goal for Street. Scoring two goals each for Fordley were David Atkinson and Ian Lee, with further goals came from Martin Graham, Daniel Young, Connor Andrews and Steve Howes.

Ashington Grand came from 3-1 down to take the points at home against Red Lion. Connor Hoyle, Michael Hartley and Jamie Barker had put Red Lion in a strong position, however, goals from David Jones, Danien Stevens, Tony Messenger and Kyle Oliver turned the game on its head.

North Shields also won at home 3-1 against Cramlington Phoenix. Jordan Reay scored for Phoenix, but strikes from Nicky Thompson (2) and Alan Baptist won it for Shields.

Division two saw leaders South Beach continued their good form with a 7-2 home win over Newsham Victory. Leading the scoring as normal was Curtis Miller with four. Others came from Ryan McKee, Redmond Cockburn and David Thompson. David Millin scored both Victory goals.

Blyth Isabella Colliery also had a good win at home against Marden Residents, winning 3-1. Michael Wedderburn scored for Residents with Gavin Maddison (2) and Paul Bertram on target for Isabella.

Blyth Sports and Social Club won 4-1 at home against Ashington Excelsior. Jamie Graham scored for Excelsior, but a hat-trick from Jason Hamilton and a goal from Kevin Long secured the win.

Cramlington Green and Blyth United Services shared the points in a 2-2 draw. Jordan Leonard and Wayne Barker scored for Green, David Long and Stephen Hanley replied for Services.

FC Beacon and Blyth Last Orders played out a goalless draw.

Newbiggin Bankhouse won 3-1 at home against Stakeford Cherry Tree. Mathew Wilkinson scored for Cherry tree, with Rob Holdan, Karl Davison and Ross Adams on target for Bankhouse.