Ashington cruise to a Senior Cup sem-final place

ON loan striker Glen Taylor bagged his first ever hat-trick in senior football to spearhead an Ashington victory over Morpeth Town at Craik Park on Wednesday night.

The Colliers made an electrifying start and were three goals up inside 13 minutes before starting the second period with a 4-1 advantage.

Two further strikes inside the opening quarter hour of the second half took the tally to six.

The win took the Woodhorn Lane outfit into the semi-finals of the Northumberland Senior Cup.

But to their credit, Morpeth kept going and were rewarded for their efforts with three goals on the night.

The home side were stung by Ashington’s opening blitz with Taylor starting the scoring after only four minutes.

He latched on to a terrific through ball from Darren Lough and rifled home left footed from just inside the penalty area.

On eight minutes, Andrew Johnson doubled the lead.

Marc Walton claimed the assist with the through pass and Johnson had to work hard for his rewards, taking the ball wide of keeper Jak Wells, cutting along the goal line then firing in left footed.

Wells denied Johnson before in the 13th minute the striker crossed from the goal line for Walton to sweep home right footed for Ashington’s third.

Morpeth then enjoyed a spell of dominance and reduced the deficit on the half hour when Steven Anderson crossed from the left for Christopher Lunn to side foot home.

Anderson had a piledriver tipped over by keeper Karl Dryden then Gareth Williams cleared the resulting corner off the line before Dryden held onto a drive from Andrew Wright.

However, Taylor gave the crowd plenty to talk about during the half-time adjournment with a stunning second strike.

He cut inside and from fully 25 yards let fly with an unstoppable left foot screamer which gave Wells no chance.

Early in the second half, Walton had a drive deflected for a corner and from the flag kick Lough got possession, advanced then unleashed a terrific right foot strike from the edge of the area which crashed into the roof of the net.

On the hour, Ashington took their tally to six with Taylor completing his hat-trick.

Johnson provided the cross for the striker who planted a header inside the corner of the net.

Four minutes later, Morpeth substitute Michael Chilton lifted the ball over the advancing Dryden and stroked home.

Then shortly afterwards, the visiting keeper could only help a drive from Anderson into the roof of the net.

In the closing stages, an instinctive chip by Walton went narrowly over, substitute David Molloy went close then Gareth Bainbridge’s effort was deflected wide.

Ashington: Dryden, Williams, Scott, Antony (Dugdale 82 mins), Atkin, Grieve, Johnson (Bainbridge 60 mins), J Taylor, Walton, G Taylor (Molloy 64 mins), Lough. Sub not used: Towart.