Ashington dumped out of League Cup

Ashington CFC midfielder Andrew Johnson.
Ashington CFC midfielder Andrew Johnson.

THREE goals in an eight minutes period by Bishop Auckland sent Ashington crashing out of the Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup at Heritage Park on Wednesday night.

With a quarter of an hour of the tie remaining and the scores locked at 1-1, it had begun to look increasing likely that a crowd of 214 would be in for 30 minutes of extra time.

But Bishops had other ideas with joint strikers Andrew Johnson and Sonny Andrews scoring the goals which took their side through to the next round.

The Colliers, who sorely missed central lynchpin Craig Scott, took the lead through Andrew Johnson, but over the whole game, could have few complaints about the eventual outcome.

Bishops looked a force to be reckoned with going forward and apart from Johnson and Andrews, who were a threat all night, wide players Jamie Harwood and in particular Arran Wearmouth wreaked havoc.

Wearmouth, who figured prominently when the Durham outfit won the league clash by the odd goal in three only a fortnight earlier, was particularly lively with his skill and close control.

Yet it was the Wansbeck side who took the lead, courtesy of Johnson in the 24th minute.

Ashington had already gone close when a 25 yarder from Paul Antony had been tipped around by keeper Peter Jeffries and then Gareth Bainbridge drove wide.

But after Danny Parker had had a goal ruled out for an infringement, Marc Walton delivered a free kick from the right to the back post for Johnson who side-footed home.

Bishops were stung and within two minutes a curler from their own Johnson beat Karl Dryden but smacked against the upright.

Six minutes later it was a different post but the same outcome as Kieran Megran let fly with a superb right footer which beat Dryden all ends up.

Johnson skied over for Ashington then Walton was out muscled when a promising situation opened up before the home side levelled a minute before the interval.

Awarded a free kick on the left, the delivery into the danger zone from Andrews was excellent with Johnson glancing a header inside the far post.

Early in the second period, Mark O’Dea found Walton whose shot was pushed out by Jeffries, then the forward got on the end of a cross from the right by Johnson to volley narrowly wide.

The action was end to end and after Johnson had missed a glorious opportunity, side-footing over from 16 yards, Wearmouth had a header cleared off the line by Antony following a corner.

Still the action flowed with Dryden pushing the ball out from Johnson, then at the other end, Ashington’s Johnson had a shot blocked by Jeffries.

However, with 13 minutes remaining, a cross to the far post was knocked back by Harwood for Johnson to head home.

Three minutes later it was 3-1 after Johnson had slipped in the Bishops area. The ball was played downfield and when Johnson’s shot was parried by Dryden, Andrews fired home the rebound.

On 85 minutes, Andrews scored his second of the night and Bishops’ fourth after another incisive move.

Shortly before the end of nine minutes of stoppage time, Wearmouth found Johnson who missed out on his hat-trick when he fired wide.

Ashington: Dryden, Williams, Dobby, Antony, Atkin, Storey, Dugdale, O’Dea (Bell 76 mins), Walton, Johnson, Bainbridge (Benjamin 76 mins). Subs not used: Egen, Little.

Attendance: 214.