Ashington Grand through to cup semi-finals

Ashington Grand striker Damien Stevens bagged a hat-trick in their 4-1 cup win over Lynemouth. Picture by Ian Appleby
Ashington Grand striker Damien Stevens bagged a hat-trick in their 4-1 cup win over Lynemouth. Picture by Ian Appleby

In the last quarter-final of the Standard Security Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League George Davison Cup, Ashington Grand joined Blyth Comrades, Burradon and New Fordley and Wansbeck Flavour Bar in the semi-final draw in January.

Grand won 4-1 at Lynemouth Institute with goals from a hat-trick from Damien Stevens and a further strike from Michael Todd. John Ramm scored the consolation goal for the home side.

In the premier division, Burradon and New Fordley closed in on the leaders with an 11-0 win at New Delaval and Newsham. Goals for Fordley came from Ian Lee (3), Steve Howes (3), Ryan Hutchinson (2), Andrew Keenan, Michael Chilton and Joe Bestford.

Cramlington Phoenix and High Street shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw. Louis Sneddon scored both goals for Phoenix while on target for Street were Anthony Goldie and Jason Smart.

Red Lion Earsdon and Ashington Bubbles played out a seven-goal thriller with Earsdon coming out on top after goals from Andrew Smith (2), Michael Hartley and Scott Purcell. Bubbles goals came from Kris Allington 2 and Stephen Dick.

Wansbeck Flavour Bar won 6-2 at home against a makeshift Forest Hall side with Martin Humble (2), Michael Angus (2), Michael Hogg and Chris Hogg on target. Forest Hall’s efforts both came from Daniel McDonald.

Division one saw Ashington Excelsior win at 8-3 home against Newsham Victory to leapfrog above their visitors. Martin Kelly led the scoring for the Excelsior with a hat-trick with Jamie Graham (2), Michael Robinson (2) and Chris Green also on target. Chris Coppen (2) and David Millin scored for the Vic.

Blyth Last Orders won 7-2 at United Services 7-2, who had Daniel Miller David Long on target. But strikes from Ross Gilchrist (2), Mathew Crooks (2), Adam Hughes, Andrew Scott and Mark Harnor won it.

Blyth South Beach and Stakeford Cherry Tree shared the points in a 2-2 draw. Dean Fitch and Steven Mathewson scored for Beach and Liam Eadington and Jake Gray for Cherry Tree.

Blyth Sports and Social Club were made to fight all the way by Blyth Waterloo Social Club. It took a penalty from Craig Danielson to secure the points.

Cramlington Green ended up sharing the points at home against Newbiggin Bankhouse after losing a 3-1 lead. Scoring for Green were John Leonard (2) and Scott Smith. Colin McLelland (2) and Kevin Halliday replied for Bankhouse.

Marden Residents won 3-0 at home against FC Beacon with Ira Tilley, Mark Hunter and Jordon Fry on target.