Ashington leave it late to beat Tow law in League Cup quarter-final

Ashington left it late but nevertheless reached the semi-finals of the Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup with a 3-1 victory over Tow Law at the Ironworks Ground on Tuesday night.

There was only one minute of the 90 remaining when Lance McGlen’s cross from the right found Kyle Oliver just inside the penalty area and the midfielder cut inside then from 16 yards fired in a shot which hit the turf then looped over the diving arms of home keeper Stephen Robinson.

It had been a closely fought contest which was shaded by the Colliers – but David Carson sealed their place with a third goal in the third minute of time added on for stoppages.

The Blackburn Rovers bound Carson picked up possession just inside the Tow Law half and using his pace, made a direct run into the area, shrugging off the attentions of two defenders before he was chopped down by Scott Brassell.

Gateshead-based referee Marc Edwards immediately pointed to the spot and Carson sent Robinson the wrong way from the resultant penalty.

In a first period where the action was limited, a header from Glen Taylor was cleared off the line in the fourth minute but there was little to choose between the sides.

A shot from Robbie Blemmings was easily dealt with by visiting keeper Karl Dryden – then in the 25th minute, Ashington took the lead.

A terrific ball from James Taylor, who played through the pain barrier with an injury, found Glen Taylor whose effort was blocked for a corner. From the flag kick whipped over by Andrew Johnson, Taylor ghosted in at the far post to head home from four yards and record his 32nd goal of the season.

The Lawyers had a marvellous opening to level only three minutes later when, from a Thompson free kick, Dean Thexton headed wide.

Johnson and Walton were both denied before two minutes from the break, a slice by Robinson gave possession to Johnson but the skipper fired tamely at the stopper.

Ninety seconds into the second period, a 30 yarder from Thompson sailed over Dryden and smacked against the bar, but on 49 minutes, the Lawyers got back on terms.

Simon Ord found Lewis Harrison on the right and when the latter crossed, Thexton steered the ball home inside Dryden’s post.

Walton went close with a lob from 20 yards then the same player fired wide after a low cross from McGlen.

In the middle of a glut of chances, Johnson found Glen Taylor whose shot struck the base of the post and rebounded to safety then Johnson and Walton combined to set up Oliver whose effort was deflected for a corner.

Then came the late show with Oliver and Carson both finding the target which sets up a semi-final clash against Marske United at Woodhorn Lane.

Ashington: Dryden, McGlen, Blandford, Oliver, J Taylor, A Downey, Carson (Briggs 90), K Downey, Walton (Norris 77), G Taylor, Johnson. Subs not used: Brittain, Barnard.